Combining Different Religions?

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Winslow, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

What has been working for me lately at keeping me emotionally stable is by combining Christianity with Buddhism. If I told my Christian friends that I combine it with Buddhism, they would crucify me and then Excommunicate me, so I don't tell them about my combination. But this combination works for me.

How did I arrive at that? Well, because when I practiced just Christianity, I found some contradictions that always gnawed at me. The pastor's answer was that whenever I find something contradictory that can not be answered, that I was to remember the phrase "God moves in mysterious ways." But to me, that was a cop-out answer to use whenever a pastor does Not have any answer.

One glaring example is that Christians say that NObody can get to Heaven except through Jesus. Then at the same time, they admit that Newborn babies who die right at birth go straight to Heaven. Obviously,those babies were not Christians when they died, yet they went to Heaven. It's because of such discrepancies that I arrived at the conclusion that every religion has a flaw or two, which is why we have to respect ALL religions.

To that end, I practice Buddhism as well. While I appreciate Christianity because it teaches good lessons about compassion and forgiveness, but I find it could Not help me with my Emotional problems. At that point, I found Buddhism and found that its practice of Zen enabled me to calm myself and achieve at least 75% or more of emotional stability.

Most likely, you Christians will attack me and crucify me for the combination I use. But to tell you with all sincerity, Christianity has flaws too, as seen in that example about the babies. That's why ALL the different religions are needed, in order to help each other. And isn't that the whole purpose of religion?

2. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

In Christianity there are only two options - heaven and hell. Why would a child/infant/fetus go to hell? The argument usually is that they have not made the decision for themselves, as it's impossible at such young age.

3. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i personally am a christian myself. i do however believe that there seems to be just a little bit of truth in every religion that i have noticed. i believe the reason babies will go to heaven is because they have not reached the age of accountibility which is right around 12. i know that as a parent there is a time that we stand for our children and then there is a time they are accountable for their own actions and that happens to be about 12 yrs old. just an observation. take care

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I have never seen a scripture that says a baby will go to heaven. I think the Bible is silent on this. If it is indeed silent, it is wrong for anyone to add this in.

Jesus said in the Bible, no one comes to the Father except by him.

5. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I think it's great that you've found a belief system that brings you peace, that's all that matters. Why stay just Christian if you don't feel comfortable with that? :hug:

I am also Christian but have also added beleifs from other religions to my own. In fact, I was believing them before I even knew they were from other religions. (Like every living thing having a spirit which I found out is a Shinto belief (I also already believed other Shinto beliefs and stuff from other religions as well)) That belief of living things having a sacred spirit just as unique and beautiful as my own is just as important a belief to me as my belief that Jesus is the son of God. I think that if you've found the path that's right for you, that's all that matters. I don't believe there is just one path to God. I believe in all of them. :) :arms:

6. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

7. Winslow

In this morning's newspaper was an article on the latest Harris poll that shows many Americans who mix faiths. According to that poll's results, many combine their Christianity with other beliefs such as ghosts and reincarnation and even UFOs. It's a decline in organized or institutional religion but at the same time a shift toward Independent spirituality. Much of that is due to the Internet which presents such a vast flow of ideas. All that accessibility is good so that instead of being brainwashed by institutional religion, people can instead exercise choice. This is a confirmation of the initial post which introduced my thread.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I think one danger of picking and mixing is that you can pick the bits that appeal to our selfish nature. ie. Christianity is good because I feel loved, and Buddism is good because meditation gives me a buzz, etc. But maybe Shintoism is good because we should respect nature, Christianity is good because we should love our neighbours etc.

Independent spirituality is great, but I'm worried that for some people it's seen as how can I make my life better, how can I be blessed or enriched? And I think this is encouraged by many people within the religions. I guess it's tricky to pick the bits that actually make your life more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  9. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am a Christian and I dont think Babies automatically go to Heaven.

10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I re-read the original post. You don't have to accept that kind of answer from a pastor. He is a man, even though he teaches the Bible, he is still a man.

I hold God accountable to the answers because he is the one with all the answers. That does not mean he will tell us everything. Jesus said to his apostles, "I have still much to say to you, but you are not strong enough for it now." (John 16:12 Basic English Bible)

When discussing the Bible at church we say to each other, "BCV, Book, Chapter, Verse." In other words we need to back it up with God's word.

11. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

I have my own religion made of MANY different things, some from other religions, some I created.

I believe Jesus existed. I don't think he was divine, but i do think he was a wise man and a prophet and the world would do well to listen to his basic teachings about loving one another. Boiled down, that's Jesus' message. "Love one another" I find little use for anything else in the Bible except as literature. I have no problem with Christians, I'm just not one myself.

That said, lets please try to keep it civil, ok?

I also believe Muhammed was a prophet, and hed some good teachings as well. However, I reject Islam as (to me) i find its treatment of women horribly offensive, and, well, I worship women:biggrin:.

I also looked into Buddhism, deeply, and found a lot there that I liked. Meditation, karma (also a Hindu concept), the fact one doesn't have to worship Buddha, merely follow his teachings, and even that isnt always required. Buddhism can be very serious and consciousness expanding and can also be silly and fun.

And then there's Shamanism (the religion of the ancient, ANCIENT peoples of earth, based on ancestor worship, seeeing the future and using hallucinogenic plants and drumming to induce trance states. Guess which part of that I borrowed.

I was contebt with that for a long time until I discovered a Magickal system/way of life known as Thelema. Popularized by the 19th and 20th century mystic Aleister Crowley, it is NOT black magick or devil worship. It is the realization of one's True Will, aka what do you really want to accomplish in life? and then making that Will happen. Your True Will can be anything as long as it does not harm others. Thelema is a lot about individual strength, and ritual and ceremonial magick is also used. From this system i take some rituals and the idea of attaining my True Will.

So, I'm a Thelemite-Psychedelic Shaman-Semi Buddhist Who worshps women, not Gods, and thinks Jesus and Mohammed were good guys but not sons of God or anything. And im always open to more

12. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I am a Christian and I dont think God sends anyone to hell. That would be cruel.

13. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I have combined my religions and refer to myself as a "spiritual mutt" when asked. I think if it works for you then should embrace it with full heart...what we do matters for sure but it is our heart that I think we will ultimately have to be measured by...'

So are you a Christbu or a Budchrist?

14. Angel_Dawn

Angel_Dawn Well-Known Member

I have my own beliefs as well. I am wiccan, and I truly believe that any true religion should not condemn, those who do wrong will pay in the end but its not up to us to judge. Be what you want, believe what you want honey, please don't let anyone choose for you.

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
    Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.
    To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
    Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,
    let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.
    Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,
    and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.
    When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
    When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.
    When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
    Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's
    insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.
    Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.
    White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.
    Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.
    Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.
    When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.
    As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.
    When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.
    When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.
    Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.
    When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.
    Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.
    When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Dawn
    XOXO

15. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

The part of the Wiccan Rede that states "An ye harm none, do what you will" is taking from the Thelemic Law of
    "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law; love is the law, love under will". The Thelemic version came into being i 1904 when the Book of the Law was recieved by Crowley in Cairo, Egypt.
    Later, when Crowley worked with Gardener and some of the other founders of wicca (as opposed to witchcraft, which has been around forever), he passed this on.
    Just a note that I think is interesting, and I also feel that if all pagan/nature religions (wicca, witchcraft, Thelema, Druidism etc etc ) could put aside out minor differences, we could become a serious cultural and (more improtantly) political force.

16. Winslow

For the record,the word is syncretism. To syncretize is to reconcile two different religions and fuse them into one. This can be seen in Japan in the religions of Buddhism and Shintoism. Buddhism was a foreign religion introduced into Japan while Shintoism was/is indigenous to Japan. At first, antagonistic toward each other, they peacefully reconciled so that nowadays the Japanese worship at both Buddhist and Shinto temples.

This practice can be also found in a syncretism of Roman Catholicism and South American Animism(the worship of nature spirits). When Catholic missionaries came to South America, they tried to aggressively proselytize their Catholicism to the Animists. After the Animist temples were ruthlessly destroyed by the Catholics, the Animists seemed to give in for a while, but apparently as a compromise, they now syncretize the two religions into a single one, that is, Catholic religion along with Animistic worship. So respect is kept for both religions.

17. Lilly

Lilly Well-Known Member

what about religion sories like......
    For example: Mesopotamian religion has a story like Noahs Ark, and the Christian Religion possibly adopted it from them as it is exactly the same but for the dates.

so if we took Christianity's Creation story, and the Theory of Evolution from the WONDEERFUl Darwin <3 <3 then......................wed have this whole thing that makes more sense than the 2 arguing all the time!

i think i went a LITTLE bit off topic........:p
    but rlly, think about it..............interessting no?

18. Winslow

In reply to Lilly, there are already a sizable number of Christians who believe in both Creationism and Evolution. If there is a Creator, he could have included Evolution as part of the process in developing the human race. But I don't call it syncretism because to syncretize is to combine only religions. But I see what you mean.

19. Winslow

Point well-taken, terrapin. The point being that Buddhism does not claim to be the only true one. Compare that with some Christian religions who dogmatically claim to be the only true one. Thankfully, that dogmatism is only some of the Christian groups. Thankfully, there are also Christians who humbly respect other religions instead of sermonizing coercively.
    Having said that, it gladdens me that you like the meditation as practiced by Buddhism. That kind of practice is very constructive as it stays away from arguments but instead focuses on achieving peace of mind, serenity.
    In Zen meditation is found the practice of mu-shin which means "No mind." Let me see if I can explain it in Western terms.

The way I see it, there is a fine line between suicidal feelings and mu-shin. In other words, in thoughts of suicide, the person wants to cease to exist. But in mu-shin, it is a state of Nothingness, so there is some similarity, except in mu-shin you still want to stay alive. That is the closest I can come to translating mu-shin into Western language. Also it's in that sense that meditation has worked for me, so I wanted to describe as close as possible the feeling I attain in that Zen state.

20. mcviking

mcviking Well-Known Member

I usually try to live my life according to the principles that Jesus himself talked about. Love God, Love Others, Love yourself. All the rest of it in my opinion seems to be just butter, and that people make different denominations and have wars over for petty reasons. God if there is was knows the intentions of your heart, and I think that is what really matters.