Coming in From the Cold

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Tam, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Have to say that I am totally bowled over by what I've seen of this forum. It is so well organized and simply explained and seems like a real living community of amazing people - so much so that even if I weren't looking for support I'd want to join.

And it's also pretty overwhelming - reading some of the posts and looking through things and I feel like who am I to write about my petty little concerns when there are people who are suffering so much. Only I need to talk and I really need contact with people and I've spent enough years now sitting alone outside in the cold that fear and paranoia and worthlessness be damned I'm going to do something about it.

Have to be honest and say that I don't feel suicidal now and hope to god I never do again, but that my (luckily?) failed attempt at it is all tied up with the problems I'd like to get sorted now once and for all. So deep breath and open the door to the warmth (I hope!)

One question that someone might be able to help with - how do you use chat? I went there last night to see what it was about and couldn't work out what to do to read or post. Anyone got nice simple how-to instructions on the mechanics of using a chat room, preferably words of one syllable or less so I understand (by which I mean it's probably really obvious and I'm being really dumb!)

Thanks so much for what looks like a really great forum.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Welcome to SF sorry i can't use Chat stupid computers ah but im sure someone here can help PM one of the chat link guy okay.
  3. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

Hello Tam! Welcome to SF dear. :)

I’m not great with all that tech jazz but if it is not working, you probably need a java update on your PC you can download java from:

Once you’re in chat is really simple! It works similarly to MSN or another instant messenger. Whatever is said comes up as live feed and you simply reply! There are basically 4 rooms
    • Antiquities – For people over 30 (I know, that’s not old but there you go!)
    • Chat Lobby – For normal (happy) chat (you log into here)
    • Quiet Place – for when the lobby is too busy and you want to talk in a smaller group
    • Triggering Subjects – For topics that might upset others like suicide, self harm etc
    Double click on a room to enter and to summarize the rules - try not to not upset anyone or to talk dirty!

Let us know if you get in!

Take care,

4. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM on the chat thing. =)

Welcome to SF :D
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

:welcome: to the forums Tam. Are you able to access chat? Once there it is very simple. :hug:
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Tam, welcome to the forum :)
  7. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Sf!
  8. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

hi and welcome. send me a message if you have any firther problems with chat and i will do my best to help out! :hug:
  9. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the help with chat.

I am pleased to say that after lots of cock-ups including having ignored the Java updates on my screen for weeks I finally managed to get into chat just now. Had a problem getting out though! I assume that all you do is use the back button that's what I did anyway and I don't think I'm still there.

Once again thanks all.

10. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

There’s an icon at the bottom of the screen to log you out, its a door with an arrow, its the icon furthest right.
  11. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Glad you were able to get in Tam. If you don't want to log out by going out the door icon on the bottom, the x (close) works too :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.