Coming Out Advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Lone_Wolf, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I really need some. D:
  2. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

whats the situation?
  3. The Scream

The Scream Well-Known Member

who are you planning on coming out too?

i never really came out... my parents had to find out themselves when they saw a picture of me and someone from the same sex making out... so i don't really have any experience with trying to come out...

but you should do it when everybody is feeling calm =]

good luck, sorry im not much of a help :hug:
  4. Lone_Wolf

I'm ready to come out since I'm in high school now. I'm friendless but my parents constant ask me but they hate gays and lesbians.
  5. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

hm, dunno if there's really a need to come out, but if you really want to stand up for yourself knowing that they dont approve it, just do it, but be strong.
    hm,but i wouldnt come out to my parents about it, if i was in your situation.
  6. Lone_Wolf

That's the biggest thing: should i come out? I lack the social skills to ever have a girlfriend or at least talk to a girl. They don't know i exist.
  7. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Are you seeing anyone at the moment?

If you are single, i agree with Romancer, no need to come out.

But if you are in a relationship and having to hide etc, then you should tell them.

Edit: You just answered my question :laugh:
  8. The Scream

do you live in a city or a small town?

how's the gay community like where you live? do you know anyone who's gay? is there a gay community where you live?
  9. Lone_Wolf

A city in texas. The gay population is like 40 kids to 2,000 o_O
    I have one gay acquaintance
  10. The Scream

hmm... if i were you, i would first off find a gay community... have gay friends, etc...

and after that, consider coming out...

now it seems like you barely have anyone to support you through the process, if you have anyone at all...

coming out will make you feel lonely... not a good idea, not yet...
  11. The Scream

and also, texas...

if im not mistaken, texas is more one of the conservative states of the us right?

that kinda sucks =/
  12. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Coming out is a personal thing that very much depends on you and your circumstances.
    Not sure how much help I will be but as a gay bloke hopefully I can say something useful.

Firstly, about coming out to your parents, remember, at the end of the day its your business. They dont need to know if your not ready for them to know.
    If you do decide to tell them, prepare your self for a bad reaction because its going to give them a shock. The standard knee-jerk reaction is for them to tell you being gay is bad and wrong in the hopes it scares you straight.
    Just give them a little time to settle down and get used to the idea. Hopefully you will find that they care about you no matter what.

Secondly, about coming out to friends. This is something you need to think about a bit less.
    If they are a bunch of tossers that will likely hate you if they find out about you being gay, they are probably friends you can live without.
    If on the other hand they are generally decent people that make the occasional gay joke, chances are they will accept you without a second thourght. Again, give them some time to let things sink in. You have known your gay for a while, they are probably in for a bit of a surprise.

Finally good luck. :biggrin:

If you do decide to put off coming out, why not join a gay orientated internet forum. That helped me a lot before coming out. People on a gay forum will be able to tell you every thing I just have, only much better.