Coming out, so to speak?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by ~CazzaAngel~, May 29, 2010.

1. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Well, as quite a lot of you know, I'm in a relationship with a woman. I'm still not sure how to really come out about the fact that I'm bi... I mean... How do you bring it up and tell people? I don't even know how to approach it. Not to mention most of my family is more like the "we don't talk about things or show emotions" type of people... So, does anyone have any advice? (it's mainly most of my family that don't know.. most of my friends know)

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I've never experienced this firsthand, but most of my friends are either gay or bi-- the way they came out about things for the most part was to tell their friends casually > and 'show' their parents in a subtle way.

I won't really go into detail because those are their stories, but... friends are normally much cooler with it than parents are. Some parents will deny the fact until they see it with their own eyes; and in seeing it-- it's not as 'horrible' as it sounds > because they can see that it's what is normal and comfortable for you. If you get what I mean...

Everyone takes it a bit differently, I think... but friends tend to be more accepting than parents for the most part. So I would start by telling them.

3. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I told my parents that I was gay a long time after I told my friends, because they're not the type to talk about emotions or any of that.

How comfortable are you with being bisexual? In my experience, it's a lot easier to tell someone that you're gay after you've been 'living gay' for a while. The hard part is accepting yourself.

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I just said, "You know R, we were together for x amount of years."
    If you don't feel comfortable saying the word bi, you could try talking about your relationship to open up conversation.
    I didn't come out. To me, it was just normal...and people around me weren't that surprised.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I have struggled with this for a long time, some friends know but family ..ugh I am not sure how to approach it. ..they don't talk about these things either but I do know they would accept me just telling fucking awkward to say the least...I like the idea of showing them....like having your female friend attend family gatherings and such ...that is probably how I would do it..please keep us updated as I would like to know how to handle this in my life...I admire your strength to be certain....good luck and I am here for you..