coming out to the family

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by unknown loner, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unknown loner

unknown loner Active Member

my parents know about my panic attacks but they dont know how bad it gets. they dont know how i freak out when i leave my house. they also dont know about my depression or my suicidal thoughts. its at this point in my life that im thinking about therapy but im scared to tell my parents about my problems. i dont know why i am, i just am. and im trying to find a way to come out to the family. is anyone else goin through this or has anyone ever gone through this and got past it? if so then is there any sort of advice you can give to make it easier?

2. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Hey, welcome to SF.

I struggled with this problem for year upon years. I had kept my depression hidden from my parents dating back to 7th grade (which was over 4 years ago). Eventually I realized I couldn't take the pain day after day and I really needed to do something even if it was the hardest decision of my life. I wrote a letter just yesterday to my much understanding mother rather than to my father.

My advice would be do what I did. Write a letter describing everything to your parent of choice (if you have a choice). Another option would be writing and e-mail and sending it to your parent of choice. Trust me when I say that it is much better to tell your parents than keep it from them in almost all situations.

Good luck.

3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I agree with the above comment. When i told my parents about self harm and depression and all the things i'd held inside for years, i found it easier to write it in a letter, i wrote many drafts before the real one and letting them read it alone and talking to them about it after, when they were ready. For one thing, writing a letter gives you a chance to get your feelings out on paper, and often that letting of your emotions can help you feel better. A letter also gives your parents a chance to read, and re read if necessary and absorb before they talk about it with you.
    good luck :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.