Coming out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by ZakPup, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ZakPup

ZakPup Well-Known Member

It hasn't been an easy life for me since I came out to my family. And I say family though a minority of them don't know or won't accept the fact. I've dealt with hostility and discrimination in and outside of the family. It makes you wonder if life is actually worth living. Even if you have your husband by your side, would it be enough to deal with the evilness of the world against the gay community. That thought has lead me to many failed suicide attempts. Even after I found my loving boyfriend Ryan. He tries to keep me happy but whats the point of trying from the other side of the country. One day i hope to join him and be with him forever but first I have to ask myself that question. I think yes it is worth living and even more reason with my wonderful boyfriend by my side.
  2. elliebelle

elliebelle Active Member

It does get easier eventually. My family hid my sexual orientation for a long time (I'm bi but I went through a phase for a few years where I only dated women) eventually they came around and helpfully announced it to the entire family and most of a restaurant one night at dinner. I'm not sure how old you are and if you're still living under your parents roof, if you are for me that was the hardest time. Once you're more free to be yourself it is a lot easier. The world is slowly changing and where you live can matter quite a bit. As an adult you generally have the option to move somewhere more accepting. The fact that you have been able to come out shows that you are a strong person.
  3. Fatman1966

Fatman1966 Antiquitie's Friend

Thats an issue that has brought nothing but sorrow to my life for a long time, but it doesnt have to be that way, when you are younger its seems like the end of the world, but as you get older, much older in my case (40) ! it really isnt that big a deal, I have recently come out to friends and some of my family, and to be fare most of them have been really great about it, they might not like it, but thats up to them, anyone that really cares about you will just want you to be happy, if you are a young man, then I would guess your family are just worried about you, being a gay young man can sometimes be a tough time in your life, it was for me, so I hid it for the next 25 years, not the smartest choice in the world.

Hang on in there, it will get easyer as you get older, then you'll stop worrying about the whole, my god I'm gay thing, if you want to tell everyone in the world you are gay , thats ok, I have only told people I care about, or people that ask me directly, but at my age that doesn't happen too often, I am gay, I have sex with other guys, but that isn't all I am, I'm a person just the same as everyone else, I just have sex with other people of the same sex, thats all, its only a tiny part of who you are, try to remember that.

Its who you are thats important, not who you sleep with.

Don't hide the fact you are gay like I did, that was wrong, but at the same time, try not to make it this big massive thing in your life, if other people see you are happy and comfortable with your sexuality, they will be less inclined to try and make a big deal out of it themselves.