Coming out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by psycho8, Nov 11, 2008.

1. psycho8

psycho8 Well-Known Member

I've told a couple of my friends that I'm bi and they're cool with it and I expect most people at school will be cool with it as well (I live in Brighton so even the straight people here are a bit 'WOO! Gay Pride!' Lol)

but I'm not sure how to tell my family. Any advice?:unsure:

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

One thing I've been wondering: do they need to know?

I'm bi, but I haven't come out to anyone... I don't feel the need.

3. psycho8

psycho8 Well-Known Member

Well like I said I've already told some friends and I want to be open about this and if I'm being open about this then I don't want my family to find out like from someone else. Plus I'll be going to Gay Pride next year to celebrate so I may aswell come out.

I think my aunty would be shocked at first but I'm sure she'd be okay with it...I'm just not sure how to tell her and also not sure how the rest of my family will react.

4. Lennie

Lennie Well-Known Member

Well as they are your parents, you probably have a rough idea of how they might react. The easiest way is just to sit them down and tell them straight. I'm sure they will appreciate being told face to face, atleast my parents did. I told my parents I was bi a few months ago, and despite a slightly dodgy initial reaction from my dad, which was just shock, once it sank in it was all good. I certainly wish that I hadn't fretted and worried as much as I did, because it was unwarranted. Although thats easy for me to say now having got a good reaction from them.

If they love you, they'll be fine with it. But it should be totally upto you. Don't feel like you have to do it. I did it gradually, started with friends and eventually moved onto family. Just do it in your own time, and when you feel most comfortable.

Now I just have to tell my parents that I'm probably a fully fledged gay now, not just bi :p

5. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

I agree - tell them honestly and confidently. It's the best way :smile:

Good luck!

6. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

everyone i know bar my family knows im bi
    the whole telling family thing is a huge issue that needs to be done carefully
    before you tell them you need to know there feelings on the whole subject before
    im never going to tell my mum
    i might let her find out for herself
    shes dead set against the whole bi les and gay scene
    she things there weird so like yeh
    if she finds out im going to tell her to deal with it
    but yeh good luck huni let me know how it goes