• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

compassion

extraterrestrialone

hi, guess who... its me...
SF Supporter
COMPASSION
nowadays you can google a definition and what you will find is choices from several dictionaries and strangely they are all worded the same and they all don’t really explain the meaning of the word. so in trying to define COMPASSION i referred to a nearly antique dictionary made of paper, which made the meaning pretty clear: OK, there is an issue in the definition here too in terms of sexism but i found that if you rise above the sexism, the definition is pretty good. “...suffering with another... ...fellowship in feeling...” (understanding “fellowship”, as a nongender thing). it is important to think about this word, its meaning, and why/how one would use it. to me it presently appears to goes against the grain of the thinking of our present time, but really its the other way around.

extraterrestrialone

SF Supporter
i bring this word up because although it seems to be understood on this site, i don’t think the general public understands or has forgotten. i think it needs to be popularized in public places. it is needed in order to change the things in society that are wrong (or at least in need of change/improvements)

alixer

We are all one
SF Supporter
Compassion is the connective tissue of all existence. When we feel it, we feel each other's joys and sorrows, because they are our own joys and sorrows. And as frightening as that might sound, to have compassion makes you more powerful than you can ever imagine.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
As somebody said, compassion purifies and clarifies the perception of reality. It enables us to encounter it directly, not just intellectually or conceptually. We are all the same underneath superficial appearances of difference , and in the midst of all the suffering there is love, it's antidote.

extraterrestrialone

SF Supporter
i bring this word up because although it seems to be understood on this site, i don’t think the general public understands or has forgotten. i think it needs to be popularized in public places.
And as frightening as that might sound, to have compassion makes you more powerful than you can ever imagine.
As somebody said, compassion purifies and clarifies the perception of reality. It enables us to encounter it directly,
There are times when I feel as if I have no feeling at all. That makes me ache. In that pain I am reminded of my mission. and yes, I am startled that I perceive that I do have a mission. I do have a need... to not remain stationary. Does it make sense that with the purified clarified perception of reality, that live power, the whole world could actively be touched? Does anyone ever touch? Could anyone? Or is compassion only contained within the individual - never to be shared??

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Does it make sense that with the purified clarified perception of reality, that live power, the whole world could actively be touched
Well I think that would require great, buddha-like compassion, but we can certainly all practice embracing the whole planet with our compassion. I think that's a way to increase it. I'm sure if everyone did it, the world would change very quickly

I do believe there are some completely selfless individuals though with great compassion. Who knows they're not influencing humanity for the better behind the scenes?

Last edited:

extraterrestrialone

SF Supporter
Well I think that would require great, buddha-like compassion, but we can certainly all practice embracing the whole planet with our compassion.
I am not thinking about "Buddha-like" because I think that becomes a completely different conversation - the same thing on another plane. I'm thinking, isn't compassion a thing that can be brought out to others in a sense like scattering seeds? And shouldn't that be happening always? Is only times of great stress the only time compassion is to be shared? But is there a medium for it? A venue? Should the compassionate be behaving like underlings? Like would if I could! Or am I living in a sheltered world unaware...???

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Is only times of great stress the only time compassion is to be shared?
I think those suffering the most evoke the strongest compassion in us, but as imperfect human beings, our compassion is usually mixed with a degree of judgement and discrimination about who is more or less deserving.
But is there a medium for it? A venue? Should the compassionate be behaving like underlings?
Not sure what you mean here @extraterrestrialone ?

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I am not thinking about "Buddha-like" because I think that becomes a completely different conversation - the same thing on another plane. I'm thinking, isn't compassion a thing that can be brought out to others in a sense like scattering seeds
I think scattering seeds is a good way of putting it. Showing another loving kindness can definitely start a deep healing process imo (in both giver and receiver)

extraterrestrialone

SF Supporter
I think those suffering the most evoke the strongest compassion in us, but as imperfect human beings, our compassion is usually mixed with a degree of judgement and discrimination about who is more or less deserving.
Not sure what you mean here @extraterrestrialone ?
well, there are certain leaders of nations who in my opinion breed hatred and isolation and war and antagonism etc not necessarily in that order. i think it is becoming common to accept this way as simpy the way things are and things like compassion are being forgotten. yet how to bring compassion to the forefront of world matters/concerns when certain people are dedicated to the hatred and others are dedicated to shouting “look how bad they are” and only making a big sensation about it. compassion does not need one person but a movement. like a movement to make mental healthcare better because in order ot do that, the whole of society actually needs to be reworked. ok its a hard job but what are we going to do, just give up being living beings/humans/and what else good we are? i don’t think we can afford to wait for a higher authority to come and save us. i think there should be a movement now and one that is all inclusive. ok, call me naive or corny or whatever, i think the world needs a reminder and i think no one thinks that they are the one to try and remind. so then, who is going to do it?

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
compassion does not need one person but a movement.
i don’t think we can afford to wait for a higher authority to come and save us. i think there should be a movement now and one that is all inclusive. ok, call me naive or corny or whatever, i think the world needs a reminder and i think no one thinks that they are the one to try and remind. so then, who is going to do it?
I think there is a broad movement which is growing organically. Making the world a better place for all of us is the responsibility of us all, but those who have the most power have the greater responsibility of speaking up on the behalf of those without a voice....the weakest, the most vulnerable, the deprived and oppressed.

Due to the intensifying global crisis, many people all over the world are realising our interconnectedness and interdependency as human beings with common needs and equal dignity and rights irrespective of outward differences of belief, ethnicity, gender etc. There is a surfeit of suffering in the world which is forcing more of us to realise the solution to the problems we all face as a species and as individuals lies in unity. Divided we fall, and the forces of hatred will win the battle for the soul of humanity. I don't believe this will happen though, as despite all the cruelty and hatred in the world, I believe love is more powerful.

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Just like to add that it's not just about compasssion, education also matters. As social animals we live and have our being in relationship with others, and as rational and moral beings we have the ability to distinguish good from evil and to comprehend what choices lead to greater suffering, and what leads to less. Without education and the spreading of accurate information about the threats facing us all, their causes, and the need for collective action to save the planet, we are kept in a disempowered state. We can save ourselves but it depends on breaking down all the artificial barriers that divide and separate us.

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00