Completing or committing. Which is politically correct?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by 1818, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1818

1818 Member

This is such a big, tricky subject that is so hard to talk about..

but at a Mental Illness conference i attended in Toronto back in January, the day/night prior to the start day of the conference, some of us met up, went back to one of our rooms together, introduced ourselves & talked about some serious stuff and our opinions. we talked very openly, no judgement and being understanding of where that other person was coming from.

A topic we end up touching on, was of course, suicide. We had all been through it or been affected by it somehow. This girl, we'll call her Kayla (not her actual name), she brought up the discussion of whether the 'politically correct' term for when somebody passed away from suicide, was 'committed' or 'completed.'

It changed my perspective on it a lot. When my brother passed away from suicide, when i told people, i would use the term 'committed' because thats what everybody uses, right?
    But, Kayla explained that people use committed in a negative way, like committing a crime, but suicide isn't a crime (in most peoples opinions anyway, but opinions vary.) so, taking your life, isn't a crime, therefore, it can't be committed. It can be completed. The person completed suicide, rather than making them seem 'evilish' by saying they committed suicide.

I know it may not make a whole lot of sense and it may not fit properly in this category, but id like to hear everybody else's opinion on it, if you're comfortable sharing.

Do you think the 'politically correct' term is 'completed' or 'committed' ?

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Interesting debate. I would agree with the word "completed" as the word "committed" sounds so negative to me. The word "complete" makes it sound more dignifying to the person who does do it. I do not like to see anyone reach such a crisis level in their lives. Everyone deserves to live their life and if they require help then we just be there for them to support them.

3. nessa456

nessa456 Active Member

I think 'committed' has just been the traditional word to use as regards suicide. It might have been a sin/crime in the past but it isn't any longer so the committed word no longer has such negative connotations. Also the word is used by others to describe what another person has done and most people don't have a positive view of suicide so to them anything that deterred a person from doing it would tend to be seen as a good thing. The 'completed' word is all about the person who completes the suicide ie the word is about them having more control over how their suicide is viewed. Society will always have a negative view of suicide though as it is anti-life and human beings' main biological function is to perpetuate the species (objectively speaking - in reality it's up to the individual whether they want to have children or not).

So I would say outsiders looking in will still prefer to use committed and not want to change this usage but the people who kill themselves and people who know them who understand their reasons and accept them might prefer completed as a way of showing more understanding.

4. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

I am so sorry this happened to you.

5. 1818

1818 Member

the word 'committed' is used for crimes still to this day. People commit murder, they commit crimes. so they word 'committed' still has negative usage around it, implying they did something usually illegal.

6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I just see both the same thing. Its to follow through with.

Committed and completed its still the act of finishing

7. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that the term, 'completed' was what was used in psychiatric circles...but I could be completely wrong about that! I believe that it ultimately comes down to semantics. Society doesn't like the subject of suicide. And so, I suppose whichever word confuses them momentarily the most, would be my choice. Though to 'commit' (something)--to me--always sounds like what others have already said: a crime. p.s. but what do I know? Also, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.