Comptuer Nerds...I have a question for you....

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

okay lets say i was planning to kill myself, and i didnt want my family to find anything i done on the computer(suicide chat rooms,forums ect....) is there anyway i could delete every trace permanently , or how does this work? any answers are VERY much appreciated ,

p.s) i have read that all files and pages can be recovered is this true?
  2. ybt

ybt Guest

Clear your history and cookies.
  3. Mortem

Mortem Well-Known Member

From what I've heard it is possible to recover the info on a HD even after formatting or low-level formatting it. There are firms out there with some really expensive and good equipment for HD recovery, it costs a fortune. But from what I hear they can recover pretty much anything.
    Before I sell off this computer I will remove the hard drive and smash it with a sledgehammer, or grind it to pieces and then scatter the junk. I might put in a new HD and install Windows for the new owner.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008

BOLIAO Guest

i fully agree with you on this. I managed to recover lost and deleted data from downloading a data recovery program from the net. I'll smash my hard disk if i were to do anything to myself.
  5. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Official SF Hugger Staff Alumni

The reason why recovery works is that the data is not really deleted. There is just no pointers to it. The best way would be to rewrite the hard-drive with random bits a couple of times. After that there is no way anyone can recover anything from there. Once the polarisation has been reset there is really no trace left to recover.
  6. Deathly Strike

Deathly Strike Well-Known Member

Recover info from a high-definition?

I think you mean it's possible to recover data from a HDD. HDD is hard-drive, and HD is high-definition. I don't think anybody would need/want to recover data from a high-def picture, to be honest. And you needn't really smash the computer up to get rid of data permenantly, there are plenty of ways to do so without being a complete idiot and destroying property for the sake of your privacy. A quick Google search would tell you this. I use a program which will do this for me, and it can reverse it if I so wanted.
  7. Cath

Cath Staff Alumni

Stay alive and they won't find what sites you've been on.
  8. Mortem

Mortem Well-Known Member

Ok, sorry :sad:. HDD - forgot about that. I think 99.9% understands that I wasn't referring to a high-definition picture to be honest. I really didn't expect to get that thrown back at me, at least not here :cry:

Smash the computer? I think I mentioned the HDD, it can be removed from the computer itself. The reason for me doing so is that to me, not being a computer wizard by any means, it's the most convenient way to be 100% sure that no one can ever access the data. That way I don't have to fiddle and twiddle and still not be sure whether it's possible to recover it or not. A HDD isn't much nowadays, so to me it's a cheap and convenient fix. I'm not forcing anyone else to do it tho!

Complete idiot? I guess I deserved that, thank you :sad:
  9. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Download a free tool called eraser. Install it. set it to write 52 times or something crazy like that. Right click on the file that you want to get rid of, in the menu there should now be a feature called erase. This will write over that peice of memory 52 times with garbled mess. Absolutly no way to recover the data. It would be like me writing over something I wrote on a blackboard 52 times, rubbing it out each time. The first few I did I might be able to pick up a trace but eventually not even forensics could do anything.

I feel bad telling you this because I feel i'm helping you where I shouldn't be. There are more options than the final choice IMO. I was in your position. I totally wiped my PC and labelled everything I owed everyone that I borrowed and put it all neatly in a box for them.
    Still makes me sad now. There's nothing so melancholic as planning your own death.
  10. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

smashing the harddrive or setting it on fire will not, necessarily, prevent the data from being recovered. high power magnets will erase your drive. or delete rewrite your harddrive several times, macs let you do it in disk utility 35 times to completely obliterate the data.
  11. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

well, I assume you mean, software removal, cause physical destruction would be so much easier.

I'd do a few formats, I recently made a batch for it, ugh, gimme a sec..

echo y | format C: /fs:FAT32 /x
    add as many of that line you want. Beware, it will be FAT32.. erm, if you dont have any people trying to get into your HDD, it should be fine.

To only remove cookies, history, stuff like that, delet tmp folders, cookies and stuff.

What browser are you using?
  12. tesseract

I use Directory Snoop. Firstly, it overwrites 35 times (sorry, you beat me there..:p) and then purges from MFT.
  13. Raven

Raven Guest

The only true way is to disassemble the drive and pass the platters trough a high powered degaussing machine. Deleting will remove the pointers on the drive that tell it where to find the data, after time it will get erased but a magnetic trace is still present. I would however say you are safe running it trough a programe that writes zeros to the drive, the key is the number of passes on the drive, the more times you overwrite data the harder it is to read the stuff that lies underneath. After seven passes with such a programs it starts becoming to the point that it would take a lab with millions dollars of machinery to be piece anything tighter. Degaussing is one of the sure ways I know as it wipes the magnetic signatures from the disc just be aware theirs a good chance it will never work again even if you don’t take apart the hard drive first, some drives have controller information on the disc that can be wiped without then the drive becomes a paper weight.

14. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Not to cause offense to people's information here because it is very useful but i'm worried the OP might not need to really know any of it. Lynn, there's got to be a better alternative to ending it all.
  15. Will

Will Staff Alumni

Depends on which web browser you are using, firefox is great, you can just click tools, and there is a choice that lets you select what you want to clear. :)

However, I really suggest you only use that to cover your tracks...we'd all prefer it if you stayed alive. :hug:
  16. tesseract

er yeah, you shouldnt need to delete all those things, just tell us whats wrong, and well help.

if you take your HDD apart, then close it, format it, the dust that enters the HDD when open should be enough to destroy your Winchester
  17. Datsik

Datsik Forum Buddy

Smash your computer to tiny pieces. =]

But don't suicide. =[
  18. ybt

ybt Guest

What the hell is going on? The OP is asking how to delete all traces of websites - deleting the cache, cookies, history etc etc will do all that without resorting to such elaborate measures as has been described.
  19. the_nihilist_reason

the_nihilist_reason Antiquities Friend

Let's say that we keep talking on SF instead....mmmmokay? :wink:
    SF can use a little Irish flair. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.