Computerization

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Austere Night, Aug 27, 2008.

?

Should we computerize all our systems?

1. Yes, we should computerize everything!

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. We should switch to computers but keep paper hardcopies.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. No, paper is tried and true. And it doesn't crash!

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

Do you all think the trend we're on of computerizing everything is a good idea? Rapidly companies are turning in their countless rows upon rows of paper files in for rack mount file servers.

Do you think is is a bad idea? Why? Is paper a better answer? Should it be a hybrid? What do you think?

2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

my only preference is due to the feel of a good book, not the same on a computer although there are many benefits

3. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I lean towards transhumanism, so I believe that not enough of the world is computerised.

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Both really. Computer systems can crash and there is always the possibility of viruses and hackers. Each has it's own pro's and con's.

5. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

a computer will only know as much as its creator.

6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

You mean... like a book?

7. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

:laugh:

I agree with Mystic though, Computer files have the risk of being destroyed by viruses or stolen by hackers. Whilst paper files have the risk of being damaged by fires/ getting ripped up and also can be stolen by people breaking into offices. I dont think we will get rid of either method tbh.

8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Very bad idea. It's going to happen anyway though so you might as well get used to it.

9. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

When computers become powerful enough, energy becomes cheap enough (free except for equipment upkeep), and robotic labor becomes more widespread, our societies are going to change so rapidly and radically that most of our descendants will not have jobs in the sense we know them. Because they will not need them anymore.

A free, automated infrastructure leads to society that no longer needs capitalism.

Unless you enjoy commuting to corporate uselessness your entire life, it's a good thing. It is a system that will keep us all well-fed and sheltered, but with the freedom to follow our dreams without being shackled to bills, loans, mortgages, etc. Sadly I'll be about 90 when that happens. :dry:

10. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

I dunno how many "Paperless offices" you have worked in, but IME we have more chance of acheiving world peace than finally reaching that goal (at least in my lifetime :tongue:).

IME computers are no.1 for many tasks, and in my area this means mainly word processing, excel and databases........BUT for my area paper does have a key place in information management....I have introduced a "Cellulosic based approach to data management" (it always attracts more initial interest than saying "File full of papers with a dozen dividers") in a couple of firm's who when long ago "computerising" threw the baby out with the bath water.......and could not work out what their problem was.

I am sure that their are Computer systems already which are better than a well structured paper filing system - but I have never seen one even comparable......and in any event the people I have worked with are not equipped or interested in using anything complicated, they are paid for different skill sets.

I still remember laughing at one firm I was working at who were boasting how far along they were with the paperless office thing - I pointed out that the staff still only had one screen each......but now multiple systems to extract data from (and some so poor it was funny :tongue:) then analyse and then "earn some money from" :tongue:......and said "you've just spent many years (and umpteen millions) making their jobs impossible to do efficiently"....."that is why you are in such a mess you want someone like me to help you out". That conversation went well :wink: - still milked them for 6 months sorting out many results of their stupidity, but had to give up as it becomes so demoralising fixing holes in the bottom of a boat and bailing - whilst 100 times that number of "colleagues" are busy drilling more holes in the bottom....whilst the Captain is exhorting "drill more! drill quicker! - let the water out".........what has this got to do with compuerization? Well, IME computerization permits stupidity on an industrial scale, whilst giving the impression of the exact opposite.......whereas paper takes a lot more effort - and is easier to unwind.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm in favour of computerization. Computers may crash [properly run servers (e.g. Google's) don't crash] but paper burns and decays. Most of the world's knowledge was lost when the library at Alexandria burned.

Not to mention, you can produce millions of copies of an electronic book in the time it takes to make one real book, and for less cost, and you can distribute them much easier.

12. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

Exactly, our descendants will no longer need to do any hard manual labor. Which is more then great really since humanity can focus on something else for once, science! If they can't keep up well that's their problem. As far as X said, yes, computers do mean a huge mess in the wrong hands (a.k.a. untrained folk). Me and a friend are actually working on a project that will bring computerisation to a new level in college campuses thus making birocracy in the college almost fully dissapear. Why stand in line for a pass when you can have it at a click away. Less resources wasted, less money wasted thus resulting more productivity on so many levels. Also in the long run computerisation is a good population control method. Without the need of so many workers they won't be able to support that big families any more.

13. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Computers suck.

Computers are the stupidest things invented. Years ago, when there were no computers in my life, I was content. So why would I need them now?

I have no desire to keep up, upgrade, advance, get ahead, amass knowledge, seek approval, gain permission, file passwords. It's all crap invented by geeky tech-tards who live in closets and can't relate to the outside world. Fuck them.

The techies invented a world of squares. Square screens we stare into every day. Square news, sports, and lies from the square TV. Square gadgets we're supposed to stuff in our pockets and play with every 10 minutes so we get the latest information updates and neato pictures. Tell me, who asked for all this?

I think these brown-nosing tech-fucks love corporate culture so much that they invent little pocket-kabobs to boost efficiency and let their bosses know where their underlings are every second of every day. Who can tolerate a culture like this?

The only thing that keeps me going is workplace violence. I applaud it every time it happens.

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hrm, world of squares in computers? So we're using paper instead? That accomplishes something ;)

And, how content were you? You're on a computer -right now-. Why not doing something else more contenting?

15. Austere Night

Computer "crash"? What is a crash? An error that ceases the functioning of the OS? Reboot and everything is as it was before.

Viruses? Get a good anti-virus, and far more importantly keep a backup that can restore any corrupted files. Hackers? It's easier to break into an office and take some paper than it is to break into a computer system and take data. Breaking into the office probably wont give up the criminal like computer systems do.

16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Let's not forget that without computers, there would be no SF. :tongue:

17. Austere Night

There would be no many things. The sudden ability, granted by computers, to send massive amounts of data to everyone quickly has pushed forward progress exactly the way libraries did.

18. Ozibuna

Here's a little something for you: these so call "techies" have more fun than you can even imagine, and judging by the way you chat i'd say more then you as well. From all the office-based jobs programming gives one money, power and freedom. Furthermore you get to have the most fun on company money since THEY send you on trips, vacations and/or team building excursions. And what's so wrong with knowing where you're employees are? Slacking isn't cost efficient for a employer. You want money, respect, power WORK FOR IT. You get nothing for free. And just so you know, there wouldn't be a need to check your employees every moment IF people weren't so lazy. What's funny is that without these "techies" yours and everybody else's jobs would be 10 times harder thus giving you less work and ultimately more slacking time.

19. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Gonna disagree with you their.
    In every business I've been in I've noticed techies and office workers are always miserable and look like zombies whereas those on minimum wage in the same companys shop floors always seem much more relaxed and content.

20. Ozibuna

Well i'm not talking bout maintenance guys, those aren't really techies, they're just maintenance. I'm talking bout the people that write the programs, now those are the ones that have nice fat pay checks and go almost anywhere on trips and vacations. It's something one such person needs, writing a program may be fun but it is also very very hard and stressful especially under a strict deadline. There's a saying, if by the age of 40-50 you don't stop programming you'll either go nuts or become an alcoholic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.