Concerned for a friend.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by b_alasdair, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b_alasdair

b_alasdair New Member

I have a close friend who I met online. He said to me last night that he feels his "life is worth less (sic)." He quit school, has no job, only talks to one friend daily other than myself, feels like nobody notices him, and actually said that he feels there's nothing left to do. I'm completely clueless as to what to do, because this has never happened to me before. He's not online right now, but I feel like I have to talk to him the minute he comes online and tell him something. I can't let this happen. I know I can stop him if I say the right thing, but I don't know what the right thing is.

Some other facts that may be tangentially relevant but may not be relevant at all are: that he has a physical attraction to members of both sexes, but comes from a family that doesn't accept that, has an unhealthy desire to have a girlfriend, and was formerly, as he put it "mildly famous" on tumblr and Funny Junk, but really isn't anymore.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi B...your friend is very fortunate to have you in his life...sounds like he is in need of professional help...I would not be explicit, but would ask in a supportive way, what you both can do to help him and weave this into the conversation...I think it is most critical to listen and take your cues from what he says...there is no 'owner's manual' for suicidality, but there is good evidence that talking and sharing allow someone to not be isolated and feel alone...express your caring in a non-judgemental, heartfelt way...and know, we cannot control the actions of another...we can only influence them...best of luck and please ask if additional help is needed...big hugs, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.