Concerned with new NYS laws

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by linybob, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linybob

linybob New Member

The latest New York laws require mental health professionals to report anyone who is a danger to themselves (or others)
    to the State to prevent them from buying guns. As someone who has considered this, now I am afraid to even speak
    my thoughts to my psychologist who may possibly help me. I have a good relationship with my psych but lately due to circumstances, things have gotten bad and I've had thoughts again. Although I am aware enough that it is best to
    tell him "yes everything is fine", so my options remain open.

Doesn't this new law basically make patients lie to their doctors?????

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

With no offense intended to anyone, I personally would not want someone who is a danger to themselves or to others to go out and buy a gun. As long as I can recall, the form filled out before the FBI NICS check has always asked, "Have you ever been declared incompetent or involuntarily committed to a mental institution?"

3. Tired John

Tired John Well-Known Member

Options, linybob? Are you in a situation where you require a weapon for your work or personal safety for some reason? Honestly, my friend, if someone is here, feeling suicidal, which is the reason we come here to share, we are probably the last people who should have a gun readily available to us.

4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

just what pick and john said here. one who is suicidal probably should not have a loaded gun nearby.. you sshould tell your therapist how you are feeling honestly.. they are on your side and trying to help you.. tc, Jim

5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

??
    Wait what. Not sure on the position you're coming at it from so I do apologize if I am coming from the wrong angle. Are you worried that your privacy will be violated because of this law? As in are you concerned about intervention from the state in your life? Or are you worried about your loss of ability to purchase a firearm?

Sounds like an extremely dodgy law. I don't agree with the people above but I do see their concerns. If I'm reading what he's saying correctly, he's worried that he'll be labled and possibly have some issue with the state if he talks about his thoughts and feelings in this regard. Idk the obligations that the state has in "law", but irregardless if you are feeling the need to talk to someone, talk to your doctor. And voice your concern about this law possibly in that it is making you feel uncomfortable to talk to someone.

If you don't feel comfortable yet to do this, you can talk here and get somethings off your chest. It's a nice place to talk about things at times, and people here are very understanding and friendly. Hope you're feeling a bit better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.