Concerns about My Mum

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by luci76, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luci76

luci76 Member

Hi all, well I need some help, my Mum has tried to commit suicide 8 times now, in the last year & half, by taking her prescribed tablets. She has gone into hospital then been release a few days after.. The last few times she has gone to resussitation, then put on the ward til the doctor says she can go home..
    She sees a psychiatrist on a monthly basis, & has the oppertunity to go to meetings once a week, her last overdose was on Friday, I rang the center (her Doctor) to say she had overdosed again, she had a meeting the following day & he said that he dosen`t think it nessasery for her to go in to Hospital to be assess & for help.. What do I do, I feel that its not going to be long that I dont have a Mother..
    The family has tried to be supportive but this pattern keeps on continuing..
    Please Help..
    Any Info Greatful Luci x

2. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I am sorry you're Mum feels so bad and that you are having to deal with it.

If you have a look in the "Links and Resources" forum theres probably something there that you might find helpful.

Welcome to the forum :hug:

3. I read your terrible story... I'm really SO sorry that I have no answers for you - but I know you and your family are going through pure hell! My heart goes out to you. I have a friend I met in the hospital last fall who has attempted 6 times herself, and her familly is so terribly vigilant now that it makes everyone crazy. I wish there were an answer - all there is I suppose is to keep doing what you and your family (and your mum) are doing. My friend seems to have found a light at the end of the tunnel - but I know it's hard for the onlookers to breathe with any sense of relief that will last. Again, I feel for you...

Through all this, I know it seems impossible, but don't forget to take care of your SELF as well!!

4. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

Wow that sucks. I she must be must be in real pain to try that many times to try to escape it. It's hard to deal with someone with that sort of tunnelvision who sees no other path but the way out. Hopefully you'll get some good advice here.

5. luci76

luci76 Member

Thanks for your reply`s.. I just cant understand, she is getting all the help they can offer her as a outpatiant, & it is not doing a thing, but they dont think it is nessassery to sign her in, I feel it is the only next step to take to help her get better.. They can monitor her moods, talk to her about her problems, & make sure she is taking her medication regular.. isnt 8 times enough for them to think it is nessassery?? We were having a chat after this time & she was up for going in to get help but her doctor says No..

6. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

Well then that doctor is how you Brits would say a WANKER. I'll say a little prayer for you and your mom. cant hurt

7. luci76

luci76 Member

Thank You... Yep Wanker, I could think of a few more but...
    Should I ask for Mum to have a second opinion??? I dont think much of him he just want to fill her with tablets, that dont seem to be doing a thing & have a monthly visit if that.. I am thinking of putting in a complaint..

8. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

Please do. its your moms life and its worth fighting for.

9. SIGH :sad:

The hardest thing about being proactive when dealing with mental health issues (notably severe depression) is running the gamut of trying with all the might you have left (being taxed over and again!) to find avenues of help. If she can, YES(!), a second opinion would be helpful... Can't do that anymore in Canada with family doctors at least - and mine's a complete jackass and pill-pusher as well - again, I feel for you. The BEST help I got was when I WAS institionalized (voluntarily) last year for a month and a half.

On the other "bright side" of his utter hell is that your mum is willing and open to do this... More telephone tag I'm afraid, but it could be worth it...

OBVIOUSLY the current situation is UNacceptable - And if you found the time, I'd make a report about that idiot who calls himself a doctor - we have a site here called RateMDs - but it's only for the States and Canada - perhaps you have something similar there...OR the medical licensing board (here's it's the College of Physicians and Surgeons)

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I would search for a new doctor as this one seems to have little understanding of your mothers condition. Her attempts are truly a cry for help and she is being ignored. That is unacceptable. I hope you and she are able to find the help necessary for her. :hug:

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

sorry to hear your mum is going through such a difficult time, i will be thinking of her :hug:

welcome to the forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.