Confidence vs Self Esteem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganaNever

I would say self esteem=ego, and this is my view-

Self esteem is simply how we perceive ourselves when it comes to the world. The more positive responses we get, the more our ego (or se) grows. The less, it blows out.

And depending on the ego is a very fragile thing, but usually impossible to avoid, specially when younger. When ego is big, were arrogant, and one thing is enough for us to lose it and become completely insecure. To have high self esteem one must constantly feed their ego with compliments and successes.

Confidence isn't the belief you're the best, the most awesome or entitled. It is a permanent state imo, of what you are without everything that is supposed to portray you in any way.

It is a state of general understanding of who you are on a level deeper then your persona and therefore less under influence of outside responses and egos ups and downs. Confidence therefore makes you connect with people on deeper levels, makes you less judgmental and more independent at the same time.

I feel though that most of the time when people talk about someone who is confident they really mean someone with high self esteem. I don't think confidence is something people can have before certain maturity (usually much later in life as it seems to me) and lots of work.

I think they are different.

I would say I am a confident person because I believe in my abilities and recognise my successes

but I have low self esteem because I still hate myself.

HomerSimpson

Than what do I have? I have ran 3 marathons, this past June I competed in my first bodybuilding show, and I have started training for my second one for this June. Yet, I still feel worthless.

with a cursory guess I would conclude its the same: I also think I am worthless and despite my good points I sometimes feel to just give up hope of ever being worthy, or valued.

Null

Than what do I have? I have ran 3 marathons, this past June I competed in my first bodybuilding show, and I have started training for my second one for this June. Yet, I still feel worthless.
I'm not sure but maybe you can have confidence with low self esteem? One example from my personal life. If you hand me a computer I'm confident I can fix it, but I usually don't charge what its worth because I feel worthless...

I guess I surprised myself with that statement... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00