Confidentiality?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by hawk, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Account Closed

I have a friend whos a freshmen in highschool. I've kinda been a big brother to him for ever. anyway, he recently told me he cuts himself and he wants to tell his HS counselor. hoeever, he does NOT want his parents to find out. obviously im trying to convience him they need to know (he doesnt know im speaking from experience) but he wont listen so im going to let him seek private help. He lives in Texas, does anyone know or hlep me find a federal or state law that states at which age can he gain FUL confidentiality if he tells the counselor where the counselor cant tell his parents if he tells them? Thanks for the help

2. Deadtwice

Deadtwice Well-Known Member

In the US the age is 16. Unless it is life or death or there are other legal actions that need to occur. I have been there myself that is why I know the age. Especially someone like a school counselor is held to confidentiality. If he wants to talk to a counselor I will recommend having a goal and not being pushed till he is too uncomfortable, As that is counter productive. I hope that is helpful.

3. hawk

hawk Account Closed

I communicated this to him. He is still scared. He believes you I guess but he says he's still scared they will tell his parents. Are you positive? Btw thanks for the reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.