confiding in others making it worse

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by helpneeded2017, Jul 9, 2016.

1. I recently contacted some people i did a 3 month internship with. I told them everything personal everything i was going through. how i was a threat to myself and others at times. they offered to help but i ended up declining the help. what i want more than anything is support. i contacted them on facebook and have not heard back from them in 15 days. am i justified in feeling pissed off and should i burn the bridge to the ground?
  2. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

By the time I was your age I was a serial bridge burner. I didn't settle until I was 43 years old. I did spend 17 years in a marriage, but that bridge was burnt about 17 years ago. I've stopped building bridges now, so there is no need to burn, but you carry on and try and enjoy the new starts you get!
  3. Why do you think it is that they have not followed up with me? It makes me feel like shit tbh with you.
  4. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it to heart, but people are so self absorbed they often forget. Or they don't really care. It's a sad fact of life that people will often say what they think we want to hear. In doing so they think it's mission accomplished.

I would suggest that if you take one lesson from this. Let it be that of you make a promise then please keep it, because you know what it's like when you are let down. This single lesson will make you a more reliable and sincere person. Which I hope you'll agree is a massive bonus.
  5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, helpneeded. I'm sorry you're going through some rough spots right now.

I am not sure why they are not following up with you. Perhaps when you declined their offer of help, they figured they had little more they could actually do for you. Some people feel overwhelmed when they hear about someone else's problems. They likely would offer to listen for a bit, maybe suggest seeking therapy, but they aren't professionals and can't really do much more. If they do feel overwhelmed, they might hesitate to become more involved - if you already declined their help - because they don't know how to deal with it or what more they could do.

Perhaps you could you ask them why they are not following up with you? I hope things settle down for you. :)