Conforming....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cloud9, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Have you ever felt like you're not really your own person? That you're just really a collection of actions and clothing that allow you to conform with a group of people whether they're your school friends, co-workers, extended family or something? I'm beginning to feel that way. My mom once said that I have a weak identity or willpower.........something along those lines and that I just conform to whatever group of people I'm hanging out with at a certain point of time. That may be true lol....I do feel that way.

Sometimes I feel like doing things like drinking, buying things or even following the news not because its really my interest, but just what's expected of me to conform. Its not really adding to my enjoyment, but I figure doing any of these things is a lot better than just being me. After all being me won't get me friends, being me won't get me a girlfriend. I need to project myself as something I'm not to impress. People will want me around then.

Is this strange? Is this right? Or what?

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah I can relate to this. I find for me, I give up on certain things or positions I would normally have in order to conform to those around me. I do it because I dont want to argue or debate or create a ripple in relationships.

Youre not alone on this one. I dont think its strange or wrong. You can live life doing this all the time. But I am realy working hard to be me. I would rather breath 1 breath of myself than a million of being someone else.

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

How do you know this is true? It may get you friends, and even a girlfriend, but they, especially the girlfriend, won't last very long.

You will likely be miserable if you aren't already by not forging your own identity. At the end of the day, you have to deal with who you are as a person. Putting on an act to gain social standing is having the existence of a charlatan.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.