Confused if this is depression...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by jefca, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefca

jefca Antiquities Friend

I have just joined tonight and read so many threads and have cried and cried at some of the words that describe me so perfectly. Invalid, exhausted, me lost in my childhood - where am I now?
    If I have depression - do I? - can I get it fixed with drugs - but thenthat won't get rid of the memories? Are bad memories and bad experiences that keep happening depression?

2. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i have personally found that sinse i have spoken (to a therapist) and shared my memories they have come not to rule or control me anymore. they're such a little part of my life. way out of the scene actually (thank God). it's possible.

it's those memories that bring about depression. yes they most certainly can.

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

your doctor can help you figure out if you have depression, there are some common symptoms. feeling suicidal is definitely one of them, it is a symptom, not a solution.

different things work for different people. for me, medication, therapy, seeing a community mental health nurse, walking and yoga help. what will help you will be different.

i guess the important thing is to be willing to try a few things in order to feel better. labels are just shortcuts for doctors. focus on what *you* need in order to feel better about yourself.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Medication and counseling can certainly help "control" depression so it won't rule your life. I've been severely depressed for years and have been on meds and counseling for it and it has helped.

Please see about an appt with a professional, a doctor or counselor. Ask them about meds for depression.

All the best to you!

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hello Jeffca,
    I don't have much more to add to what the others have told you. Can you give us a little bit more insight into what is happening with you. You can be assured that the forum is a great place to get things off your chest. No one knows who you are so please share with us.maybe someone here has the same problem you do and can help give you guidance?
    Well I am here if you need to talk to someone, just PM me. Stay Safe and Stay Strong...:chopper:...

6. jefca

jefca Antiquities Friend

Hmm, my issues (can iterate them today cos I'm on a 'good' day):

Controlling, jealous and manipulative mother
    Three abortions
    Hang ups around control, feeling invalid, humiliation
    Death of my dad
    No sense of self

That'll do for now. I've had a good day today in that I've been so busy at work I've not had to think about me. Come home and I feel myself imploding so came on here to browse a bit.

Going to bed now, sleep is calling me.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I can sence the way you feel about your mother. Is it possible to go live with some other family member? I honestly think you and mom need a break. Was she like this before your father passed? Maybe she needs to vent and get rid of some of the bad thoughts that are plagueing her. I finally broke down and mended things between my dad and me. He is in his late '70s and is in bad shape. he says he doesn't feel like he will be around much longer. Maybe you should sit down and have a one on one conversation.
    As far as abortions I am a male so I can only imagine how you felt. I know my daughter has had one miscarriage and one abortion. I can only say we care here at the forum.
    I have always been down on myself because I never finised high school and I found I always had to lie about it when applying for a job. I'm 51 now and set in my ways, I know school is not for me because I can't retain things that have been said to me, also I can't remeber things I have read. To me self esteem is something you have to work for. You are young and have plenty of time to turn things around.
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Were you close to your dad? Maybe there are some material things he held on to, that you could get to give you the feeling that he is still with you. I hope I have helped just a little. Thats what you have to do to get by. Take little steps...:chopper:...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.