Congestive heart failure

jmm

Iv been apart of this site for a couple years now , I don’t post to often , idk why , cuz I assume no one cares I guess . This year on top of being bi polar and major depressive , I found out I have diabetes type 2 , run in my family no big deal . Diet exercise I got this . I was actually able to be optimistic . 3 weeks later I found out the diabetes was already working it’s magic and I’m in stage 2 congestive heart failure , the doctors said even with medication and management . I should begin to get my affairs in order. Most ppl with CHF live only 5 years with proper management... and my doctors have tried to be optimistic, but my cardiologist believes I may not even be around that long . Iv always be suicidal. But this is surreal , at 30 to be told I’m gunna die in a few years . Idk how to feel. Part of me says don’t bother with the meds let’s just get this over with . The other part is scared now . My life’s been awful for 3 years now . And this is kind of the cherry on the cake . And iv just finally gone numb .

bobbob

SF Supporter
Iv been apart of this site for a couple years now , I don’t post to often , idk why , cuz I assume no one cares I guess . This year on top of being bi polar and major depressive , I found out I have diabetes type 2 , run in my family no big deal . Diet exercise I got this . I was actually able to be optimistic . 3 weeks later I found out the diabetes was already working it’s magic and I’m in stage 2 congestive heart failure , the doctors said even with medication and management . I should begin to get my affairs in order. Most ppl with CHF live only 5 years with proper management... and my doctors have tried to be optimistic, but my cardiologist believes I may not even be around that long . Iv always be suicidal. But this is surreal , at 30 to be told I’m gunna die in a few years . Idk how to feel. Part of me says don’t bother with the meds let’s just get this over with . The other part is scared now . My life’s been awful for 3 years now . And this is kind of the cherry on the cake . And iv just finally gone numb .
Im just awake and not had breakfast yet and so just a quick reply to say hi and sorry you have been through such an incredibly tough time. I can understand to a degree as I went from healthy to having several autoimmune disorders in last two years (including a blood clotting one which seems to have screwed with my brain). I felt despair but feel I have a regained some sense of hope and purpose. On good days!
I know that the heart can repair to some degree and diabetes can be halted but it can be hard as hell. Ive found this guy really good on tackling my autoimmune stuff - anti-inflammatory foods, lots of exercise, enough sleep, mindfulness etc - and he has also done stuff on reversing diabetes 2. I cant swear to how good it is but here it is just in case of use.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Honestly, I think if you have a combo of good diet, exercise and medication then I think you can live longer than the 5 years they have given you. I've known people to live with CCF for 20+ years. If you can reverse the diabetes somewhat with good diet and exercise then it puts less pressure on the heart. Yes, it's a chronic condition but it's one that you can live with for some time. I wouldn't count it as a death sentence because it doesn't have to be.

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus

I came to this site quite few years ago- 2011 it says - with late stage 3 CHF. I was border between stage 3 and stage 4 and the symptoms ranged down the line between the two, and have ever since. I was expecting 2 years at very most when I got here, it is after all progressive disease and I was right on the the cusp of end stage.... And yet 7 1/2 years- later here I am. Have been plenty of down times, with health especially, kidney failure, heartattack, a stroke, as well as the daily issues and swollen feet and hands, not working, shortness of breath etc etc etc.. but still here - and that time is not years- I dont care about years or days - what so I care about?
I have
watched 3 daughters graduate hs
2 daughters graduate college
2 daughters get married
held my first 2 grandchildren, waiting for 3rd this spring..
20th wedding anniversary and a trip to mexico
Seen my youngest , a son go from 1st grade to HS
Taken him on a hunting trip and shot his first deer
Met friends that mean more than I can explain
... more other very big "little" things then I can count

It has not been easy always, and more times than I can count I questioned if it was worth it to keep trying. But it has been worth it and I have realized dr predictions mean absolute jack crap.

From somebody that was predicted to be dead 5 or 6 years ago, intended to be dead nearly 8 years ago- to you- Don't listen too close to the predictions, listen to life and live a life that you want to have to the best of your ability. You have health issues, I understand far better than most as my life seems often to revolve around my health issues, but in reality it revolves around many other things....

Last edited:

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
Life expectancy
Life expectancy after a CHF diagnosis will depend on a range of factors.
A 2016 study estimated that about half of people who develop heart failure live beyond 5 years after being diagnosed.

However, there is no simple answer for life expectancy rates, as the average life expectancy for each stage of CHF varies greatly. Personal lifestyle choices may also play a factor, as well as whether a person has other medical problems.

CHF is not curable, but early detection and treatment may help improve a person's life expectancy. Following a treatment plan that includes lifestyle changes may help improve their quality of life.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321538.php

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/133/4/e38

moxman

The "Perfect Life" YouTube channel is neat
SF Supporter
My dad has this. He has a heart pump to help circulate the blood throughout his body and keeping him above ground for a bit longer.

jmm

Sorry to hear this

That's rough news to get, especially at such a young age.

What could we do that would help the most right now?
Honestly I know nothing can be done just being aloud to share and be aloud to say I’m scared is help . It’s been very nice to see the support . It means a lot to me to know that people care because I’m not super used to it . So thank you just for replying and being here

jmm

I came to this site quite few years ago- 2011 it says - with late stage 3 CHF. I was border between stage 3 and stage 4 and the symptoms ranged down the line between the two, and have ever since. I was expecting 2 years at very most when I got here, it is after all progressive disease and I was right on the the cusp of end stage.... And yet 7 1/2 years- later here I am. Have been plenty of down times, with health especially, kidney failure, heartattack, a stroke, as well as the daily issues and swollen feet and hands, not working, shortness of breath etc etc etc.. but still here - and that time is not years- I dont care about years or days - what so I care about?
I have
watched 3 daughters graduate hs
2 daughters graduate college
2 daughters get married
held my first 2 grandchildren, waiting for 3rd this spring..
20th wedding anniversary and a trip to mexico
Seen my youngest , a son go from 1st grade to HS
Taken him on a hunting trip and shot his first deer
Met friends that mean more than I can explain
... more other very big "little" things then I can count

It has not been easy always, and more times than I can count I questioned if it was worth it to keep trying. But it has been worth it and I have realized dr predictions mean absolute jack crap.

From somebody that was predicted to be dead 5 or 6 years ago, intended to be dead nearly 8 years ago- to you- Don't listen too close to the predictions, listen to life and live a life that you want to have to the best of your ability. You have health issues, I understand far better than most as my life seems often to revolve around my health issues, but in reality it revolves around many other things....
Thank you so much for sharing this it really dose give me hope . And make me feel like I should fight .

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00