Considering dropping out,need advice

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by robroy, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Hey I'm considering institutionalizing myself, but I know if I should or where I should go. Im failing 2 classes and doing poorly in the other two, it takes concious effort just to dress myself and eat let alone study effectively. Can anyone give me some advice? I don't think I'm ever going to kill myself, but my brain tells me to a lot and some times I give in to self harming urges.
  2. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

I was in your position last year, although I was failing everything, lol. I gradually dropped all of my classes before the drop deadline. I presume you're pretty close to the deadline. When you say "institutionalized," do you mean hospitalized, as in inpatient therapy and whatnot? That's what I ended up doing a month after having dropped my classes, although I didn't plan to, and it was rather sudden. Well, I was advised a little too late to basically ride it out until the end of the semester, although I don't think the person who advised me understood the scope of my depression and suicidal tendencies... let alone the severity of my self-harm methods.

I suggest that if you can ride it out until the end of the semester, and if you can pass your classes, then don't drop your classes. Then again, in your case, you seem to be pressing for time, and you might be uncertain as to whether you can pass your classes or not if you ultimately choose to stay in school. Arg... that's all I've got, at least for now.
  3. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

robroy, What is more important to you now, I really do not have to ask, but I am asking you! I know where you are, in your mind
    say it out loud to yourself where you need to be, and why! I am not asking about self harming, I will just ask you to not!
    I don't believe you want a final solution, you have to get your mind working right again You know what you have to do!
    I am sure that everyone here is pulling for you! You are contributing you are working hard to help others, Help yourself First! Then if you want, come back
  4. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Hey Robroy, have you looked into deferrals for your class assignments/exams. What about health services at your school? My advice to you would be to drop your worst class and see if it helps. I've already dropped one of my classes this semester, and I think it's sort of helped. Feel free to message me.
  5. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding you guys, I think maybe this might just be a fantasy the way i somtimes fantasize about suicide. I don't know for sure but I'm going to schedule an advising appointment to see what my options are. Thanks for all the support, I'll keep you guys updated:)
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I was in a similar situation a number of years ago. I took a quarter off to regroup, then returned to school. Have never regretted taking that quarter off.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I dropped out of 2 colleges, so I cannot give college advice but I am always here for you and hope you know you are not alone <3

Do you think being hospitalised could help you?
  8. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

I know being in a good hospital could help me for sure, and I know I'm depressed enough that it's effecting my grades but I don't know if I'm depressed enough to justify myself dropping out for a semester or going into a mental hospital. I also don't think I'm too much of a risk to myself, I fantasy about suicide frequently but don't think I could go through with it, and I'm certain I pose no danger to anyone around me.
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

That sounds all good and well hun but it is crucial you see a doctor if you think being and inpatient can help you. They will assess you and they will tell you if you need to go. I'm glad though that you are feeling fine. Keep it up! You are important and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
  10. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Just an update in case you guys are wondering, I've decided not to drop out but to drop 3 of my 4 classes, I'm taking one easy class now. I'm not going to commit myself but I'm going to focus a lot more on therapy and getting better:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.