Considering Overdosing?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GoldenPsych, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I found this on one of the medical blogs I read...I think I have gone in to the wrong career but that is by the by. Anyway, if you are considering overdosing please read this before you do as it wont work!!!! I don't know if there is a way to make this sticky so it stays at the top but I thought it would be useful for people to read...

The drugs don’t work.
    Tag: Ambulance — Kal @ 10:39 am
    A thought inspired by a sixteen year old suicide attempt.

“I just thought if I took all the tablets in the bathroom…”

The problem was that “all the tablets” amounted to her granny’s iron tablets, a strip of out of date antibiotics and a pack and half of immodium.

Not likely to kill you.

Not likely at all.

She’ll not poop for a week…and when she does her jobbies will be like bitumen…but she’ll not die.

Which got me thinking.

I know I don’t know enough about over the counter pharmaceuticals to kill myself. Not by OD, at least.

But to OD on OTCs? I’ve not a clue. If I sat down with some textbooks I reckon I could work it out so that I just slipped away and never woke up, a la Hollyoaks and other televisual dross.

So if I, an honest to god medical-type (kinda), can’t work it out; what chance does the man on the Burdiehoose omnibus?

I’d estimate that I treat at least one OD a week. I’ve only ever seen one of them die. Most of the time it’s a wee chat, a “‘mon then” and the three of us walk down to the vehicle.

Are those people too stupid to think about what they’re doing? They always swear to me that they want to die. Are they too emotionally wraught at the time to think it through? Is there insufficient public education about how un-fatal and yet perfectly horrible ODs can be as they work through your system? Are TV soaps to blame?

Should, we in fact, start publishing leaflets with tablets that tell you exactly how much you’d need to take, on average, to achieve: nausea, disorientation, coma or death? Maybe a graded traffic light system, like the supermarkets use for salt and saturated fats?

Cos if the paracetamol boxes said “You will require Xmgs of this drug to kill yourself, anything less will leave you with horrendous liver damage. PS. If you do take the lethal dose, it’ll take days of agonising waking pain before you die.

Then I think people might think twice.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

-Off topic- Ah! You read TraumaQueen too. What a top writer he is. -/Off topic-

3. GoldenPsych

Yeh, I read quite a lot of the medical blogs out there. I like paramedics diary best, also siren voices and insomniac medic. I think I chose the wrong profession. I have always loved anything medical! Any others that you read?

4. Sango

Sango Account Closed

I did that today. I overdosed on pills I was prescribed but I just fell asleep. Never got the chance to "do it". Fuck my life.

5. GoldenPsych

Obs you can't say what you took on here but if you wanna PM me and tell me about it you are more than welcome to. I know for me I wouldn't choose death by OD. Just as there are so many things that will mean it wont work and if it does it wont work in the way you expect. I know a few times when I did OD it was about dying. I thought that if I took enough then I would go in to neurological breakdown. Each time taking more and more of the pills hoping it would work. But also, looking back I thin a lot of the OD's were self harm and also a cry for help. No one knew about them only hospital staff...

I don't really know what else to say to this. I am not thinking straight tonight and can't get out what I feel etc. Not really in best frame of mind to be talking about stuff like this really. Sort of feels hypocritical when all I can think about is death!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.