Constructive Living

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by bright1, Jul 5, 2009.

1. bright1

bright1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of constructive living? It has helped me in the past, and I was thinking of picking the book up again to see if rereading it can help.

Constructive living comes from the way the people deal with depression in the East. Apparently, instead of sitting at home or going to therapy because they're depressed and can't deal with their lives, they get up, go to work, etc. no matter how depressed they are. They are aware of their depression, but they don't let it stop them from living their lives.

According to the author, if people would just ignore how they feel and go out and do whatever it is that they need to be doing, they will find that they feel better. Ignoring your feelings makes them fade; paying attention makes them stronger.

It also says that the best way to forget about your own depression (or whatever trouble you've got) is to focus on other people.

IDK. . . .maybe I've just drifted away from constructive living and need to refocus? Or maybe this guy doesn't even know what real depression is.
  2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Yes, tell that to all the servicemen with PTSD that eats away at their lives... these are some of the busiest people out there, yet their demons still manage to overtake them... ignoring the root of the problem makes it worse... I am all for trying to live your life the best you can, but ignoring therapy will do nothing but hurt you in the long run.
  3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

that probably answers for my family's fucked upness. they are so poisonous through their 'constructive living' i don't want anything to do with them and keep my mother at a distance. the minute she starts realising something wrong or of feelings that aren't 'constructive' she goes into a daze and leaves me to clean up the mess.

from what i understand there isn't much awareness or communication about MH problems where my parents are from. it's taboo so people just die or suffer in silence.
  4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

It works well with anxiety, nine out of ten times. Hasn't changed my depression though.
  5. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

they have high suicide rates.I know many asian cultures actually condone suicide ...and I know muslims who are not allowed to express their feelings of depression.They do NOT live better lives for it.:blink:
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

most certainly.
    keeping it inside I don't think has ever helped anyone.
    Although of course you want to live your life to the fullest despite depression you may feel.
  7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

proven the more you try to ignore your problems it backfires and comes back ten fold to hit you in the face. I agree it would help with some anxiety issues but not all. Keeping productive could help with some depressions as well but being medicated and getting therapy should go along with it. Just my thoughts though.