contemplating hospitalization

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by chickee, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickee

chickee Active Member

I won't go into my story as it's long. Suffice to say I have major depression + anxiety that doesn't seem to go away without a liberal amount of benzos. I have been to a partial hospitalization program and it helped me quite a bit. I gained skills and new forms of coping mechanisms that I didn't have before. I am now months out from that and feel suicidal, with a plan. This is par for the course for me but the thoughts are getting more invasive and I'm slipping into the deep hole of depression once again.

Could hospitalization help? Or will it just be another bad experience? I don't have a therapist and I don't see my psych until the end of November. I don't know that I'm an emergency case (ie psych ward) but I definitely think I need help between now and before I see my doctor again.

Any advise?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think signing yourself in for some respite for some stabilizing is a good idea. Maybe ask if you can get your meds adjusted a bit while you are there increased or changed even it might just be what you need okay

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

if you are the stage of having a plan it would be good to get some extra help. i've done the same in the past, checked myself in when i'm in real danger. i've never regretted it. there's something about being in a place that you can't hurt yourself that was very healing. plus they switched up my meds, that helped. let us know what you decide.

4. kote

kote Account Closed

good luck and all the best!!! i agree with the above posters.
    give yourself a rest and a break.
    hospital being one of the safest places there is, it should help calm you and relax you a little.
    take care.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Different people have different experinces being in the hospital..It's all in how you make it..I've been in ten times and never had any problems with it..The main thing is you do alot of waiting... You see a shrink once a day and maybe a therapist.. They hold group sessions but I would take a book to pass the time..I hope you make the right decision because you are on the edge..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.