Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Freya, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

This is a bit of an irritable rant - specifically about things people say to you when giving you a pep talk or telling you to "buck" up. The contradictions that are bandied about:

"Stop saying negative things to yourself and focus on the positive"......... BUT "You need to focus on the things you need to change and become better".

"Be yourself - if people really love you they will love you as yourself"........ BUT "You need to build yourself into someone you love and respect before anyone else can love you. Start by changing one thing at a time"

"You always think that everything is your fault and are really negative - don't assume you did anything wrong"... BUT "You should not have done/said this/that".

So do you focus on the negative things that need improving, or believe in yourself? Do you try to have faith that people will love you as you are, or accept that they won't and change yourself? Do you listen to the people telling you what you did wrong and how and why it is your fault, or do you try to be positive and NOT think things are your fault.

Anyone else? Things people say that basically mean "Be what I want you to be, when I want you to be it - and for the love of god stop bothering me with your emotional shite" ?
  2. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

adding to that list:
    be a realist, stop dreaming.
    dream, they're real, you have a beautiful mind.

it's not necessarily that they mean bad or don't know what they're saying, it just comes out funny and eye brow raising, i agree.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Seriously! change what YOU want to change and keep what YOU want to keep about yourself.
    You can please some of the people some of the time, so forget pleasing everyone else and do what is right for you.
  4. rigadoog

rigadoog Active Member

QFT. People say stupid things and some quotes mean different things to different people. Do what you think is right and don't listen to those people because everyone thinks and lives differently. Experience is a better teacher than clich├ęs are.