Controversial Point.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Scum, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum (depending how people respond, it might be better in the soap box).

After learning about the Virginia Techs shootist, and the anger, and hate, and bitterness, aimed at the wealthy, good looking, unwilling to take responsibility, etc, is it only me that can see parallel's between his thinking and the thinking of a few people on here?

I'm not for one minute saying that anyone on here would do that, I sincerely hope they wouldn't, but the bitterness, hate, anger, jealousy/envy at those that have things they wouldn't, seems similar.

I'm not sure what my point in, but it does concern me.

I guess I just wondered what others thought.

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I'm sure there are many parallels between his thinking on many things and many people, especially people here. Don't mean nowt to me though. It'd be like saying all people who feel down cut. Things are unique to the individual, where some can dwell and explore in thoughts freely without having them cave in on them, while some live those thoughts to the extreme no matter what they think and become twisted the further they go into them. Depends on the person, wether they are defined by their thoughts or not.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. "

- Aristotle

3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It's not quite like saying all people that are down, cut. Because I have not said all people with mental health problems are similar to him, etc, or anything as general.

I am thinking of the bitterness that is harboured in some individuals, and in my original post I only mentioned people on here, but it's in real life too.

But I totally agree with what you said when you said

That is such a true point :)

And off topic, but I suspect that something like this will help push that new law through about detaining people against their will on a freer basis. And that's in the UK, not US, but things on other countries have repercussions elsewhere.

4. i can see alot of the anger/hate/jealousy in alot of people everywhere, including here as people are much more open generally about emotions. whatever drove that boy to do what he did, must have been an extreme case of the emotions. ( im not sure what my point is, i just wanted to answer as it interested me)

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I see what you mean S. I doubt many will believe it but I think a few months ago I was on the verge of doing the same thing. If I'd have been able to get a gun in this country I may have actually done it, I had it planned. Thank fuck I was in therapy though. Anyway, I think many people have the potential to do these awful things, and it only takes something small to finally push them over the edge. There has to be something very wrong with society that people are driven to this point. That's not absolving that guy of responiblity, it was ultimately his choice, but I think in some small way everyone is responsible.

I've rambled, sorry.

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Thank you for being so honest Mal, I think you are right.

I'm so glad you were in therapy and getting help mal, and I'm so glad that the gun laws here are such that it made things hard for you.

7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Stood in Kings Cross Station once and could have just mowed everyone down..perhaps we all have moments where we think we could do it, but vast majority have neither the means or at heart the will.

Read, Catcher in the Rye by Salinger..it kind of lets you into the head of peeps who do this kind of thing.

8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll check that out Terry, thank you.

I was just saying to someone that most people hold the potential (like Mal and Terry say), but that there is a HUGE difference between holding the potential and carrying out the act.

9. run4fun

run4fun Well-Known Member

i wondered if the tech shooter did some blogging. because he stayed online alot.

10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I wondered something similar too.

11. Blackness

Blackness Guest

He had a mental illness and and anger and other traits he had are shared by other members on here. I'm not saying any of us would do the same thing, but many of us also have a mental illness.

12. run4fun

run4fun Well-Known Member

i'm sure money will always be a part of everything. i don't blame anyone for thinking like that. i grew up rich. but ironically, i wore reject solo serve clothe that didn't even fit. and didn't have a jacket for the winter. people thought i was poor. i had money in the bank that i worked for but wasn't allowed to spend. my mother never cooked breakfast or served more than a soup for dinner. i was grounded so i couldn't buy groceries. my poor classmate wore nice clothes and ate better. the muscular kids with their weight machines think that they are better. i remember US marines went into africa and some felt shocked and respect for poor. but i think most don't care.

13. Just_Me_

Just_Me_ Guest

I have this strange feeling that you might be referring to my post On the Problem With Envy...

To be honest I held that potential and still hold it now. However, it's still to be said whether or not I will ever use that potential and carry out my desires. The whole religion crap getting in the way.

The tech shooter was capable of what he did because he was devoid of much positive emotions, thus his "creepy blank stare" which I can relate to. He also had an aspd/schizoid personality, which I also have. Unless you have it yourself you can't begin to fathom the hell and despair of emotional emptiness, it's a bottomless black hole that sucks all the vitality out of life, out of everything. However that doesn't mean I'm going to go off with an ak-49 and start shooting people like ragdolls anytime soon.

Hoped that cleared some things up.

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I thought about the same thing...or even whether or not he ever posted here...kinda creeped me out.

Just_me...Please don't ever do anything like that...those poor people.

I actually really feel sorry for the boy's parents...because of what he's done, and the hatred people feel for him, they will never properly be able to grieve their son :(

15. downmage

downmage Well-Known Member

I have only have one distrubing thought about all of this..Where is the police? It must have took the shooter a while to kill all of these people. Why wasn't the police kicking-in the doors to the school and stopping this kid instead of hiding behind the trees of the school. What I saw on tv was a bunch of sorry-ass cops with body armor on..hiding behind some trees, hiding behind their cars. What were they waiting for? The tooth fairy?! I guess they wanted the shooter run out of bullet's or something.

It was the same with Columbine. Cops don't rush the building..

I don't understand..

16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Yeah same thing with Columbine. No offense, but it's their JOB to get killed instead of civilians...they hide behind the idea that they don't want to get the killer all worked up, but how much more worked up can you be? Kinda telling when the cops NEVER get inside until the killer has offed himself as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.