Controversy Over Islamic Superhero Team

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

2. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

And yet another brilliant example of why the media in the US is a joke. :)

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Their concept is shit.

Some books tossed in the river held power that some scholars decided to put in their 99 gems? The fuck?

I also dislike their bias - the Library of Alexandria is generally held in much higher esteem than any other historical library and yet they choose the one in Baghdad. Seems silly, but whatever, it's a comic. As far as I could tell it wasn't even that entrenched in Islamic culture.

4. Zurkhardo

The region, and culture as a whole for that matter, hasn't produced much in the way of comics - thus the writing is a bit stale (though presumably their looking to bring in experienced writers).

That being said, you're right, but I feel the intention is still quite admirable. Not only will western youth see a nicer side of Islam, but it will give many Muslim children positive examples to follow - especially the disaffected that would otherwise turn to crime or terrorism.

5. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

..yeah, erm, if they're going to do crimes, reading a comic book isn't going to change that. :p

6. Zurkhardo

Touche'

7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

...really?
    It's a comic book.
    Thousands of comic book concepts are debuted every year.
    I really do not see why it's worthy of being called 'controversial' - how about all the comic books that portray vivid rape scenes and violent spousal abuse and villains as protagonists?

lol
    how funny.

8. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

very bad idea. how are they going to keep each toon involved in the story and make sure its not a cluster fuck? cut it down to 11 and it could work.

9. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

You mean Berserk? ;)

10. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

I take it you have never read any Hentai manga then.

But controversy aside it looks like a shitty and boring comic.

11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Oh, no-- I was not even beginning to go into the realm of sex comics or even Japanese manga-- purely the American Superhero genre of comicbooks which are apparently so well known and popular these days.
    If you've ever gone to a comic book convention you would see the hundreds and hundreds of bad ideas people make into comic books. Usually they disappear--
    There are many many not so well known storylines that get into things much more controversial than 'muslim superheroes.'
    -- it will only become popular because of the media coverage it is getting now... then will probably die out quickly unless it has something good to offer readers.

12. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure all the controversy will die out pretty quickly because no one other than butthurt right wing news types and whiny conservative bloggers really give a shit about this Islamic Superhero comic. Not to mention those are sort of people who will always get their knickers in a twist if all Muslims aren't depicted as soulless baby eating terrorists who scream allah akbar every 3 seconds.

But from personal experience religious comics tend to suck and its highly unlikely that this one is going to be any different.
    Also speaking of comic book conventions I went to one yesterday and I couldn't help but laugh at all the dreadful indie comics that people were trying to sell.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.