Convince me

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Sadspirit, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadspirit

Sadspirit Member

Convince me to want to live. I have nothing to live for. The future will only be pain (permanent injuries from being hit by a car), poverty (can't work, "living" off SSI). I could probably move to a different poverty apartment, maybe save up enough for a new poverty car that will keep breaking down. Too depressed to say any more.

And don't tell me that my thinking is flawed because of my depression. It is completely rational to not want to be in this so-called life anymore when it has absolutely nothing to offer besides pain, poverty, loneliness.

So go ahead and try to convince me to live, because I have a plan and I am about to do it, and it is 100% guaranteed and cannot be stopped.
  2. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

im not gonna convince you, you are the captain of your own faith. but what i can say is that being dead would suck. you would put your loved ones through hell, and for what. so you can lie somewhere in the mud? your life isnt over, not by a long shot you have so many oppertunities to seize upon and you can not only make your life in order but thrive. if you feel really bad, the best thing to do is to reach out for help. you did that by coming to this forum it is a good step. now the next one is to contact a therapist and ask them to help you. you can contact me if you like as well either through private message or reply to this post. you deserve good things
  3. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I guess if you really want to be convinced you'll convince yourself.
  4. Sadspirit

Sadspirit Member

Just what I thought. You people who are "thriving" can't understand those of us who aren't and never will be. You just cannot understand not wanting to live. I am not afraid of the afterlife. I don't believe in "God", but I firmly believe in an afterlife, and I do not believe there is any punishment for suicide. I will be much better off when I am off this planet.

I have no loved ones who will go through "hell" if I die. There simply is no reason to live anymore. And I already am in therapy.

Just what I thought. No good argument to live.
  5. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

Beauty of this world. The only thing keeping me sane. The only argument I have.
  6. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

What do you think happens in "the afterlife?" Curious, as you said you didn't believe in a God?
  7. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

if you were under the impression i was thriving and like my life not by a long shot. but what keeps me going is that while it may seem that death is an alternative it isn one at all. im curious too, what do you believe lies in our afterlife?
  8. brunswick

brunswick Active Member

at least you can look forward to an apartment and a car
    kill yourself and you don't know what's going to happen next...
    you may think this is bad
    but it can get worse
    and this time, it may last forever

what happens after we die is not up to us
    just like we didn't ask to be born
    we didn't choose our parents
    we didn't choose this world to live in

it can get worse...
    a) you don't get to live in an apartment and drive a car
    b) you may not even get to exist at all
    c) if the buddhists are right, you may come back as a cockcroach or worse
    d) if the Judeo-Christian-Muslim are right, you'll go to hell if you kill yourself
    - which will be a lot worse than this, so I gather
    - and it lasts forever, so I gather

you see, it doesn't matter if you believe or not
    what is, is
    stay, do the best with what you got and maybe, when it is your time to go
    - you get to go to heaven
    - or get reincarnated in a better life

you may succeed in killing yourself
    but you don't get to choose where you go next
    at least you know what's what in this life
    it may be bad, but it can get worse
    just look around you, people being raped, beaten up, locked in prisons, dying of AIDS
    it can get a lot worse
    even in this life
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  9. brunswick

brunswick Active Member

you may say you don't believe in God
    or religion
    or whatever

but if there is something after death
    it doesn't matter if you believe it or not
    no one knows

but those who have anything to say about it
    the prophets, the religious people, the scientists
    those who died clinically and then lived again

no one, absolutely NO ONE
    tells us we have a choice where we go next

don't go unless you are absolutely sure you're going to a better place
    it can be a lot worse than this place...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  10. vir

vir Well-Known Member

Believe me, few of us here are thriving. Most of us here have wanted to end it all multiple times. And no one really wants to give you all the platitudes that I'm sure you've all heard before.

So what keeps me going?
    New episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    Stupid people, and the desire to fight the never-ending war against stupidity
    I want to visit India before I die
    There are lots of street drugs I still haven't tried

I hope you're still reading these.
  11. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

We cannot convince you to live if you do not want to.

Just try to consider everyone that may get hurt if you do. If it's your opinion that less people get hurt if you suicide and your're determined to do so, then nobody here will be able to stop you. Do what you think is best. Remember that nobody can force you to live. We cannot take this choice away from you.

I know this life isn't perfect. I know that people have their limits. Not everyone is equal. Life ain't fair. Survival of the fittest. There's a lot of real pain. Not all of depression is fake. A lot of it's real and has its source in tragedy and death and other such things. I know all of that. But I also know that this life is hard to predict. Sometimes things can get markedly better and sometimes it can collapse. If you're strong enough inside and outside, you can shape your future with some amount of confidence. But there're no guarantees.

Do me a favor. If you do go through with it, wish peace on all things, ok? Do not die with anger or hate or anything like that. I don't believe in a god. I believe that when we die our brain loses oxygen and key nutrients and thoughts become faded. We lose a sense of identity (our ego). We disconnect from everything in this world and in our body. The links in our brain that allow us to have thoughts die within several minutes. We may have hallucinations - although science has (i think) tried to avoid answering these questions. I suspect that a very deep part of the human mind does not want to completely know what happens after death. But I suspect that we experience profound peace when we die because we're no longer connected to the limits in this world. It's the limits I think that cause some of the anxiety. We have to figure out how to divide the resources among the people and we do not like to pick and choose who survives and who doesn't. We have denied these feelings for a long time because we're unsure (and afraid) of what death means. But ultimately, this life is hard to accept. When we die, I think that we reconnect with this initial desire that all things should have peace and equality. We reconnect with the all. If infinity is a place of peace then I think it's a place of little if any change. Death must be very similar to that and makes me wonder.

I'm not encouraging you to kill yourself. I don't want you to. But I have to say these things.

And this (this young man apparently passed away due to heart failure on christmas):
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.