convincing psych I can go back to school..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allie123

How hard is it to convince a therapist & psych that I am well enough to go back to school? I've been on psychiatric leave from grad school since sept '10, and by May1st I need them to say that I'm well enough to return if I want to start again in sept '11. I'm doing much better than I was doing in september, but some things happened (external things.. i was sexually assaulted) that have led me back to some of my behaviors that got me on leave in the first place. Back in sept I was suicidal and struggling with some substance abuse and bulimia. Now, I'm working in a lab (at the school I plan on attending) and since the assault I've been slipping back into bulimia behaviors. I finally told my therapist (like a month after it started up again) and I'm worried this will hurt my chances of being able to go back to school. I'm purging like once a day. What do you guys think? Obviously I'll try to cut it out, but if I can't.. should I start lying to her? I NEED to go back to school. If I stay out longer its going to negatively impact my recovery, I know it. School has always been my base that has helped me keep my shit together, I need it in my life again.

thanks loves <3

aoeu

Not attending is better than failing out. I know how you feel, I know how important it feels to get back into school... I would suggest you do everything you possibly can to get actually well by May. DO NOT LIE. You will be doing a disservice to yourself.

Use this as incentive to get better. You're an academic, you know about research - look up everything you possibly can on the topic of stopping bulimia, there's got to be a solution that works for you.

Allie123

sigh... In my brain I know you're right Steffen. That is some solid advice.

I don't know that I would fail out though. I've finished my classes and did pretty well (my anxiety isn't performance related), but I have to finish a thesis which was what I struggled with before I left (my anxiety is more social - I have difficulty going to a lab where there are other students/professors/etc). I think I am ready to do better this time around though, I've started working in a lab as a staff member, so if I were to go back to school the transition would be smooth. My day-to-day life wouldn't be different, I would just be workign as a student (and not getting paid as much lol).

I'm functioning in lab now with the bulimia, and I know this is not reasonable, but I wish I could just spend the rest of my life functioning as well as I am now, with bulimia as my secret coping method.Because, really, on the surface I'm doing fine.

If I were to not be a student or not work, my life would lose so much structure.. and I'm pretty sure the bulimia would intensify AND i'd probably be suicidal again. Structure is good for me.

I wish I could quit the purging, but I keep having flashbacks to the incident and its the only thing that keeps me sane. Of course, that's a different topic for a different part of this forum lol.

Is it ok to ask my therapist what exactly I need to do for her to sign my forms?

aoeu

Yes, that's okay to ask. She should have specific, objective goals for you, and not telling you them would be counter-productive, to say the least. I hope you're well enough to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00