Coping Methods.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by iKarma, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

At the advice of SilverKoi, I am making a new thread to find ways to cope with the endless depression and my obession with cutting. I have tried many methods. So it would be best if you guys could list some in bulk, and what not. Here is a quick list of methods I have tried.

-- Hypnotism
    -- Working out
    -- Sports
    -- Hanging out with friends more
    -- Illegal Drugs
    -- Drinking
    -- Sex
    -- Beach Days
    -- Music
    -- Playing my Bass
    -- Playing my Drums

Please if anyone has any coping ideas, I would like to hear them and try them.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Therapy?
    Meditation?
    Reading/art?
    write a blog? :dunno:

3. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Honestly the illegal drugs & drinking probably messed you up more. They both kill brain cells.

Ideas:

- Low protein diet accompanied by vitamins or herbs (I highly recommend Stressease, & St Johns Wort through the Jamieson company) High levels of protein can affect the serotonein levels.
    -Hot Yoga (if it makes you feel better, tons of cheerleaders take these classes lol)
    - Classical music has been known to help ease stress & tension
    - Animals <--- Help reduce stres, if you dont have a pet offer to walk others dogs (or other animals?). Try going horseback riding (trail riding).
    - Acupuncture <--- usually covered by health care otherwise a little costly but an amazing investment
    - Acupressure <--- you can do this yourself, there are tons of sites on this. I use this to rid of tension & headaches.
    - Jogging w/ a buddy, human or dog (or cat if you are adventurous?)
    - Sauna <--- local work out centers or colleges/universities usually have them, they will release tension & bad energy
    - Go for a run/walk just as the morning light hits the sky, the crisp air has a soothing affect on the body
    - Create a daily schedule (one day at a time)<--- stick to it & it will help keep you busy & the feeling of being organized & in control will help

I'll keep looking up more methods for you =)

4. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

my coping methods
    • helping others in crisis on SF and other forums
    • practicing self control (restraint in self harm ,substance abuse and self pity)
    • lowering my expectations (yup i mean it)
    • long walks somewhere really pleasant,like at a lake or resevoir or other nature preserve or park
    • i don't have a dog but having a dog would change my life for the better(for my
    hermit tendencies)
    • writing a journal..a memoir..a thesis paper..etc.
    • diet is a biggie..lots of spinach and not too much martyrdom with avoiding
    foods I love

oh and these can also be coping methods for you ikarma, lol..sorry I got caught up in myself..hate it when I do that

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  5. PandorasToybox

Ohhh writing is golden! As well maybe Cognitive therapy?

I took an ugly event in my life & turned it into a play :biggrin: If you create masterpieces out of bad events, it usually helps create a closing.

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

* Group Therapy
    * Painting
    * Sleep
    * Massage
    * Herbal/Natural Medicines (and I don't mean pot. lol)
    * Love
    * Singing
    * Shiatsu
    * Acupuncture

7. ashes_away

that just might be one of the best coping mechanisms..it really is making lemonade out of lemons.

8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Heard a new one today from my daughter laugh yoga she says it works wonders.
    venting helps
    poetry
    i agree lay of illegal drugs and alcohol they only make matters worse

9. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of them I have tried, and I feel bad shooting them down. But:
    Tried this. I have tried Cognitive, Electro Convuslive, Group, Psycho, dialectical, Occupational.

Tried it a few times, never really got into it.

I read about a book a week. Doesn't stop the urges.

I work out a lot, so I need protein.

I tried it once, and did not like it at all.

I love listening to the Ludwig Van. But doesn't get rid of the urges. Plus with the depression, I haven't been able to enjoy it.

I have a dog, who I spend a lot of time with.

Had about 10 sessions or so. No real effect.

Never tried that. I will look into it.

I run 3 days a week. The urges are still there.

After every workout, I hit up the sauna. So 5 times a week.

I usually run around 7am for about 1 hour.

I having a pretty straight forward schedule. I wake up around 7, go for a run or work out. Hang with friends. Etc. This occupies my time, but doesn't get rid of any urges.

I am on a diet, because I work out a lot. Lots of vegetables, only greens, protein, etc.

Tried it.

Can't paint

Not really a coping method

I usually get a massage once a week. No urge help there

Not really into this, but any ideas?

My ex left me 2 months ago, she helped a lot. Right now not looking for love, waiting for her to get back at the end of August to work things out.

I can't sing for shit lol. So I play my bass and drums.

Not sure what that is.

It sort of does, but the urge doesn't really go away.

I try writing songs, but not that great. Doesn't help me either.

A lot of people say this, but it is the only time where I don't have urges etc. It is not like I do hard drugs, or do them a lot. I only do psychedelics. And only like 3-4 times a month if that.

Please keep the ideas coming.

10. PandorasToybox

Cut back protein & up the carbs. I'm a long-distance runner & I use that technique & I'm in amazing shape. Protein is overrated & carbs under-rated by all.

11. PandorasToybox

Ok sorry if I get this mixed up... were you involved in some sort of accident & damaged your neck or something????

12. ashes_away

A lot of people say this, but it is the only time where I don't have urges etc. It is not like I do hard drugs, or do them a lot. I only do psychedelics. And only like 3-4 times a month if that.

I suggest you stop all together. And I really hope things go your way regarding your ex.If they do not..I understand your pain.I have been there recently myself.Its a huge trigger for me.Coping with the loss of someone you loved or someone you depended on for better or for worse is like losing a part of yourself.I can't offer coping methods for that..I am in that place myself.Time and courage..sigh..

13. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Either way, it doesn't help with the urges. Protein is needed for muscle building. It is not that I cut out carbs completely.

14. PandorasToybox

Yeah but most people over do the whole protein thing. Believe me after being a runner since the age of 9 I know what it takes. Add more omegas to your diet at least. Balance out the protein. Jeeez they need to start teaching you men to ease on the protein!:lol!: Level everything out. What percentage of your diet is protein?

15. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Nope lol, not sure where that came from.

I haven't done any drugs for like 3 weeks. I think I am stopping them.

It isn't that I load up protein. My diet is pretty balanced. I can't really say like the percentage I take in. I just try to make healthy choices. Like my typical breakfast is

Breakfast
    -- 2 Boiled Eggs
    -- 1 Slice of toast
    -- Glass of Orange Juice, Glass of Water

Lunch
    -- Chicken Salad
    -- Water/Juice/whatever
    -- Pita Bread with humus

Supper (This changes a lot, the others are pretty standard)
    -- Pasta with Alfreddo Sauce
    -- Salad
    -- Slice of bread
    -- Water/Milk

Snacks
    Celery, bananas, etc.

16. PandorasToybox

Mmm I should let you make my meal plans! :lol!:

Sorry, I probably read someone elses thread & got things mixed up:unsure:

17. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

So any ideas? I am at such a loss right now.

18. PandorasToybox

Well give me some time, I'm digging for more :smile: I know its hard trying to wait & find coping methods. I would start with acupressure, and I highly recommend drinking non-caffeinated tea <---peppermint tea is great for reducing stress.

19. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Drink Green Tea, mainly. Peppermint tea is pretty good stuff. But not really stressed. I am looking into acupressure to see if there is anything like that where I live.

20. PandorasToybox

I'm addicted to peppermint tea :laugh:

Also considering you work out so much, either look at massage or chiropractic work for your body. Chiro work is great for relieving stress out of the body. Everybody natural has tension in their spine which can create stress on the nerves, and chiropractic work can help relieve that. It realllllly worked for me... I should probably considering going back to it again. As well theres a supplement my mom tried & its safe to take with most meds ...I think its called HTP 5 or something??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.