Coping with a depressed friend

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Jak88, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jak88

Jak88 New Member

Well I myself am not depressed, however a girl I have become very close with is having difficulties at the moment. Her family is broke, and she says she lacks motivation to do anything. I've tried comforting her as best as I could but it doesnt seem to work, does anybody have any specific ways I can help her? She says that she doesnt have motivation to do anything and is not turning up to college. I fear that if this continues she will be kicked out of college, or worse :/
    She has already had help from councillors in the past but said she hated it. I really dont know what to do anymore, any help is appreciated :)

2. mark b

mark b Well-Known Member

Hi. Good you are there for her.

Is this new for her and family situation and what caused the finacial problems.

Are they getting all benefits and entitlements. If in uk there is a website to check this freely.

3. justsomegirl

justsomegirl Well-Known Member

Jak88, it's really sweet and kind that you want to help this girl so much. Unfortunately it's very difficult to help those who don't want to help themselves; the best you can do for her, I think, is help her realize that she does need help. I know it's a harsh reality, but there really is a limit to what you can do other than be there to comfort her and encourage her to seek help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.