Coping with an eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by CJ87, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ87

CJ87 Member

Hi guys, to get straight to the point, I've had plenty of my own problems in the past but never related to eating disorders so I'm afraid i'm not an expert in this area. Recently however I've found out that my sister is bulimic and its worrying me quite a bit, partly because I feel responsible for initiating the "mental disorders" in our family.
    Basically I am seeing her begin to make some of the same mistakes I did, albeit with a different 'illness'. I am scared that she is comparing herself to my situation and then either making light of her own problem or somehow thinking that this sort of thing is the norm.
    So really what I want to know is, can I help her? How? and what can she do to get over this problem and not just live with it?

Thanks Guys :smile:
  2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Therapy can really help with a eating disorder. Maybe try and get her to see someone about it ?
    It's not your fault. :hug: Eating disorders begin for all kinds of reasons.
    Other than that just be supportive towards her, and watch what you say about food / weight.
  3. NoNoNo

NoNoNo Member

I agree with Mel-X...try to talk to her about how you feel, but don't come at her in any way that can be interpreted as threatening or negative, be sincere, and be very supportive. and maybe even volunteer to go with her to find help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.