Coping with triggers.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by FrainBart, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I was really unsure on where to place this, I didnt think anywhere was fitting for it...

I had my hair done, today, at a hairdressers, Its been a long time since having my hair done, and it was in dire need. WHen they put the apron on me, it triggered me, I didnt expect it to make me feel how I did, and the hairdresser saw something was wrong so kept me talking, which I feel a bit stupid about admittedly. However the whole time whilst having my hair done, I got a horrible weird fluttery pulsing pain in my chest muscles and didn't stop until I was out of the hairdressers.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a few ideas that I might be able to use in situations like this that can help. I have tried breathing, but it made me more aware of the pain feeling in my chest and made me feel more uncomfortable.
  2. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

maybe u cud mention this to the hairdresser? i'm not rly sure, but the way u described it, it seems similar to a panic attack. is there maybe a specific reason u kno of that might trigger this to happen? maybe it's that u're not comfortable with people using sharp objects near u? or maybe there's some past trauma due to which u can't handle people touching u in certain ways? maybe if u knew what caused this, u cud find some way to at least ease the effect. or maybe as an alternative, if u can, could u try cutting your own hair or have a close friend do it for u?
  3. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I dont make frequent visits to the hairdresser, and leave it until my hair gets into a state. It was the whole apron round my neck, I know where it comes from but there was no direct contact on my neck from er, so I dont understand why the apron caused me to get so upset.
    I dont really trust anyone other than professional hairdressers to do my hair.

but I guess its not just that, i guess its everything as a whole, just triggers in general, sort of would like advice on how to handle them in day to day life, when I get unexpectedly triggered.
  4. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Have you ever tried something called mindfulness Vienna? It takes a lot of practice to get right, but when you get troubling thoughts it is a technique that allows you to acknowledge that it is just a thought and that you can let it pass. Google it, see what you can find, may even be some youtube videos about it. It is taken from Buddhism and is a kinda form of meditation :)
  5. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I've had a look, and it seems really really confusing to me. :unsure:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.