coping with voices, mania without medication.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by plates, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i don't take medication.

my problem is that i need to sleep/calm it, right? and stay put. i'm not depressed, and slowed down- i'm quite the opposite and my problem stems from managing this, and staying in my flat and sleeping and resting.

does anybody here notice how much sleep is needed to rest one's brain after they are hearing things and having intrusive thoughts? when they've gone through a period of being high or going through flashbacks, and are high because of this? how much do you need?

and if you take medication, does this interfere with the sleep cycle? cos i took diazepam recently and my sleep cycle was interfered with, i slept but it wasn't a proper sleep cycle where you go through REM sleep and i need this to feel rested and to not hear voices when i'm agitated/having flashbacks, feeling attacked.
    i was having lucid dreams and exhausted cos i was not getting good quality sleep, but at least it- the diazepam, dampened the agitation.

it's only recently i've realised what sleep does to my head, and how for years i did not listen to my body and rest. i have to force myself to say "stay in bed, you're not going anywhere until you're better" and it's sometimes days. the last time i went through 20 hrs, in 3 days. that's 60 hours sleep and i felt amazing afterwards.

any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

after flashback i am tired for days. I think if you are hearing voices medication is needed if the last ones did not work try different ones that do work There are newer medication that can be taken in injection form every 2 weeks and a newer one 1 a month injection talk to your psych doctor inquire abt them
    i know i can sleep for days and still not feel right but i am on cipralex only

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing violet.

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

anyone do visualisation here? i realise i can get agitated/manic cos of good reason (v. sensitive to people around me) and recently i put something in place and i didn't get effected by it.

i've been off medication, anti psychotics/depressants for years and am better off without it as they damaged me physically.

5. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

like you hear real voices or your own voice that drives you crazy in your head?

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it's hard to say. recently it's been both- when it's persecutory ones- they're the worst.
    when i'm in it's just chaos and all i think of is "you need to sleep" and once i sleep i feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.