1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost to see medical records?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by TheWr0ngChild, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

    TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

    I would like to veiw the medical records as my surgery has on me, because I'm 99.9% sure most of mine are missing. Last time I saw my GP he was offering me treatments that had been tried and failed with the issues I had that day, and when I asked if he consulted the records I discovered they went back to only my previous address, not my home one. I've heard you have to pay, but what about the Data Protection Act? I thought you could demand to see any data held on you by anyone under the new laws?

    They never left my home practice in Derby!

    I have asked at the surgery I am with now, but they do not have the records, they only have sketchy bits going back to my previous address, not my home one when the records never left apparantly, so it might be worth contacting that practice and asking there. Would they tell me though without seeing me in person over the phone? The distance would make this awkward as it's about 30 miles from where I am now. I spose I could do it though if I had to.

    What kind of ID would they need as I don't drive, don't have a valid passport anymore and no bills come to my address in my name apart from bank statements, which I don't want to go showing off to anyone if I can help it. I'm not even sure they would accept a Council Tax sheet as proof it was me. I have nothing with my photo on apart from one of those prove it things for buying age restricted stuff.

    I asked my currant GP, he la la'ed about and said he would look into it, he never did.

    Does it cost to demand to see your own medical records under data protection? Because I could demand to see the ones they have at my currant surgery as proof they are not my full records I spose.
  2. Hazel

    Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

    As far as I am aware it does not cost anything to see your medical records, you need to apply to your regional health board.

    I can only tell you that I got copies of my NHS hospital records and it didn't cost me anything.

    Hope this helps.
  3. Ignored

    Ignored Staff Alumni

    I think psychiatric ones cost if they haven't been added to in the last 90 days (if my memory is correct). You might do well to look it up on the internet under data protection/health records. They can also withhold any that they feel would be detrimental to you to see.
  4. TheWr0ngChild

    TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

    These are pretty much just general practice ones which contain inportant info about all the meds I've reacted badly too in the past :unsure:

    Also what about the ID issue if I have to contact my old home surgery?
  5. LenaLunacy

    LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

    You'll probably need proof of adress and a valid photo id, i.e passport or driving licence. I think, because when i went to register at my new doctors surgery they asked me to provide that before they could send off for my records.
  6. Hazel

    Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

    If you ask the clerical staff at your new Gp's, they should be able to obtain your records direct from your old one.
  7. Starlite

    Starlite Senior Member

    Didn't cost me anything for my medical records, just had to show ID
  8. TheWr0ngChild

    TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

    Thats just it though, like I said in I have NO ID. All I have is one of those prove it cards. I don't drive and don't have a valid passport anymore. No bills come to my address in my name so what would I do?
  9. Danny Crooks

    Danny Crooks Well-Known Member

    You would need to request your details in writing under the Data Protection Act and they have up to 40 days to respond, .. Sometimes there is a charge, and it is usually around £10 - £20 depending on the quantity of information you are requesting, to cover postage, man-hours, and exenditure of losses such as printing the nfo out, etc.
  10. gentlelady

    gentlelady Staff Alumni

    All you can do is call and inquire into it. Things can vary by area and policy I think. If you contact them directly, you will get the answers you need.
  11. plates

    plates Well-Known Member

    Where I am, you have to pay around £40-60. And they'll send you copies, from what I heard, through post.

    Your Council Tax letter should be ID enough, so don't worry.

    I'm surprised they don't have your records though. They are compiling everybody's personal medical records on a huge database now...
  12. dhanarajesh1

    dhanarajesh1 New Member

    Medical records are not cost we have to maintain by registering some sites then they only provides good medical service.
  13. dhanarajesh1

    dhanarajesh1 New Member

    This really helps the people by reducing the medical records for health
  14. dhanarajesh1

    dhanarajesh1 New Member

    Thanks for sharing
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.