Could a sunburn reduce a scar?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by laisydazy, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laisydazy

laisydazy Member

I have a lot of scars on my legs and I don't know how to get rid of them. It's almost summer and I don't want to have to wear swim shorts everytime I go swimming. Is it possible that a sunburn could reduce the appearance of the scar? If not, does anyone have any ideas I could try to make them go away before summer?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

bio oil reduces scars and there are scar reducing creams you can bye at drug store they work sun burn wont work try the creams okay hugs

3. laisydazy

laisydazy Member

Bio Oil isn't doing much /: that's why I asked. It was a stupid question. But I think I might try Cocoa Butter.

4. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

i think a sunburn might make it look worse. there is a foundation from MAC maccosmetics.com called face and body. ive never used it on the body but its for that too. its waterproof and kind of sheer but buildable, but it may not work on very bad scars. for faded ones i think it would help. your best bet is time and no more cutting :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
  5. KimKim

KimKim Well-Known Member

a sunBURN might reduce them...if a lot of skin comes off ö.ö
    I would definately NOT try it out xD
    Sun in generall will only make it worse .__. The scars don't produce melanin as the rest of the skin and stay all whilte. Sometimes in summer I see scars from years ago which have completely disapeared but were brought back by the sun ~.~

Try camouflage make-up. doesn't have to be by MAC in my eyes-drustore brands will also do.
    I always use a redish concealer (same i use for undereye circles) to hide bruises on my legs and a beige one for scars.

6. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Hi,

I seen this on http://news.healingwell.com/index.php?p=news1&id=510829:

"Scars are particularly sensitive to sunlight and can sunburn faster than healthy skin, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Once a scar becomes sunburned, it can remain discolored or darkened and may not fade back to match the color of your healthy skin."

And this:

http://studymore.org.uk/ctr.pdf

"It is accepted (after many years of research) that the best conditions for wound
    healing come under the title of "moist wound healing.

Moist wounds heal up to 3 times faster and are less likely to become infected than dry "leave it open to the air" wounds, or those that have been allowed to become waterlogged. There is a delicate balance between moist and wet but, generally speaking, today's advanced wound care dressing ranges (such as that stocked by Boots chemist) are able to maintain that balance with ease, providing they are used correctly. When used correctly the likelihood of excessive scarring, wound breakdown and infection are considerably reduced."

If you already have scars i'm sorry i doubt that will help although i would suggest if you are in the uk you speak to you doctor about camouflage make up, they might be able to foreword you to Mind who can help you with this.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

camouflage make up or bio oil

8. laisydazy

laisydazy Member

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.