Could anyone explain to me....

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Soda, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soda

Soda Account Closed

Why do people love each other? Why do people cry over others' deaths?
    Why are people so sad when they don't have any friends?

Could anyone care to explain the answers to these questions PROPERLY?
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

We're a social animal. Our fundamental nature requires companionship. It's a security thing.
  3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I agree. Its part of who we are.
  4. Soda

Soda Account Closed

do we REQUIRE companionship? do we really NEED it?
  5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Our human nature tells us we do need it. People tend to become either very sad or bitter if they have nobody in their life. This isn't the case for every single person. For the most part it is.
  6. Soda

Soda Account Closed

not the case for every person. ohk

....i wondered why some people that go to school hate being lonely, and seem to like it when they get talked to, but im the only person who gets annoyed being talked to by other students or teachers.

how about my first two questions in my post? the one about love? would the answer be pretty much the same thing?
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's not only the evolutionary aspect, you'll also note as you grow up that good things happen when you deal with others. I often like to be left alone, but at the same time, I know I need people... Depending on the basic instincts and your upbringing, you'll need more or less than others.
  8. Soda

Soda Account Closed

i will never need friendship or love. although i tend to enjoy a litte friendship, i will never actually need it. as for love, never. i hate love.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Was this instinctive, or did you have bad experiences?
  10. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I never got around to asking why, because I felt it would be a social, anthropological answer from her, but my therapist said that we need friends,love and work or hobbies to feel complete and happy.

I don't have the first two and I'm not happy but that does'nt prove it is true.

I think what the other posters are saying here is along the same lines as what my therapist said. Also, I think that most mammals live in social groups. Not positive, just pretty sure.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  11. Soda

Soda Account Closed

this was an instinct. i do not understand why humans do some things. they do a lot of pointless things. y care about someone? it makes their life harder. people can get traumatised over loved ones deaths. that doesnt make sense to me. someone they knew well died. so they get depressed. y be depressed? its just another death. y?

y be so sad over not having friends? rather, y be so happy when you have friends? why do u need friends?

the answer i got was interesting. its human nature. if its human nature, what am i?
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, quick question: you fall, break your arm. What do you do?
  13. Soda

Soda Account Closed

14. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

It's hard to answer when you phrase it as a universal question. Not everybody is alike, our needs for companionship vary from one person to another. They also vary across time, in response to biochemistry and the behavior of others towards us.
    When I was younger I spent more than a year living by myself in the woods, pretty much a hermit. I'd go into town once a week or so to get money and thereby food. It wasn't exactly a happy time, but it was necessary. A few years later I met someone and got married and I cannot imagine life alone.
    One thing I know is true is that things (including ourselves) change.
    At least most of the time. I read a research report (a long time ago and I can't give you a reference) about this one chemical marker - some people (roughly 0.2%) had the marker, the rest didn't. People that didn't have the marker didn't like people who had the marker, People with the marker had no clue why - they didn't meet enough people with the marker to form any social groups - it wasn't known whether they would if given the chance.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

The world is a pretty shit place. You need something good in your life, something you care about and appreciate.

This may be your partner, your children, your friends, your pets, God, whatever. For me it used to be my computer but I'm a big nature lover now, I just spend hours in a forest or on an empty beach. True, it can be lonely, but it's also beautiful.

I guess you lose it all in the end though. I had friends, lost them, but found God, lost my faith but bought a cat (who taught me a lot about Zen). I guess if you only have one thing in your life, it's a lot more difficult to deal with when it's gone, so we should try to enrich our lives with as much as we can.
  16. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

There are a million different answers to these questions. You have to come up with your own conclusions, because there's so many out there but it won't feel right unless you see it for yourself.
  17. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Humans have never existed as solitary creatures. For as long as we - and indeed our primate ancestors - have lived, it has always been as part of a social unit, be it a family, tribe, band, nation, country, or (as is increasingly the case) a single, global race. It's simply a part of our survival and our intellectual development. Most intelligent animals (though not all) tend to be of higher development and intelligence, as well as highly innovative. Do you think we humans would've come this far in terms of medicine, technology, invention, art, and so on if we lacked the social cohesion and cooperation that allowed for such things?

Granted I'm giving a very big oversimplification, and mostly from the scientific/ethnological perspective, but that's largely the point. Well I've no right to speak on your behalf I don't believe you're as exempted from this as you think. Your existence is the product of a union of two seperate people. The clothes you wear, the material in which your house is built from, the very country you live in, and so on is all the product of trade and human interaction. You're a member of this community we call the Suicide forums, seeking the opinion and wisdom of others while contributing some yourself. We're always a part of this interconnected system, even if we don't realize it.

Though you feel no emotional connection with anyone, it's there nominally and implicitly. And if it isn't, then you're simply the exception, which as noted is always the case for anything. Good question by the way.
  18. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

humans that live totally solitary lives become mentally unstable and in the majority of cases hallucinate and they often become clinically insane
  19. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

say ouch!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.