could be expelled/suspended for self harming

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by xXxJJxXx, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXxJJxXx

xXxJJxXx Active Member

in our schools policies it clearly states that anyone who hurts themselves on purpose will not be allowed on school premise if the problem is recognised by staff. ive kept my scars concealed at best as i can but im always worried because all it takes is for one teacher to notice and im outta there.
    anyway... should schools be allowed to just suspend/expell pupils because they self harm? i mean surely they arent doing any harm to anyone else, especially if they conceal it, shouldnt they try to help the people through it instead?
    would like your opinions please :)

2. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

as long as ur not self harming at school, they should not be able to do anything, oviously if u are taking blades to school etc, you are putting others in danger, but if u are keeping the self harm at home then they should do anyhting within there powers to help people!! surely this is a breach of human rights to just expell for self harming.

3. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Banned Member

i think that as long as you aren't harming others thats fine. it also seems to me that they are discriminating against people with genuine problems. no school should be able to do that.

4. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

i dont think schools should be aloud to do this!!!
    like your not hurting anyone else
    this is really stuped!!!
    they should be trying to help us not make things worse

5. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

:hug: it seems to me that if this is the case they are not doing their job properly. i would have thought that if they noticed they should try and help you and offer you different possible avenues of support.

6. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

i can't believe a school does something like that, as said before that's discrimination :mad:
    hiding it is in my opinion the best thing to do for now
    how long will you have to stay there? is it possible for you to change school?
    or maybe ask someone who knows the laws, who could help you with this?
    tc MA

7. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

i think this is wrong & not fair at all:sad:...they shouldnt do that...im totally against it...anyway,take care of yourself dear...we are suporting u here..

8. xXxJJxXx

xXxJJxXx Active Member

im stuck there for another 3 years until i can go to uni. all schools in our area seem to have the position on self harm so there isnt really much point in changing :/

9. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I guess rules might vary from country to country, but where I live they definitely shouldn't be allowed to. School protocol here is generally that you don't show your scars blatantly to other kids and whatnot (but you probably wouldnt want to anyways!!) but they shouldnt be allowed to suspend/expel you for it. Rather if they do find out then they're s'posed to help you and organise counsellor appointments and whatnot because they have a duty of care towards you and if they're aware of it and dont do anything about it they can get sued for negligence.

Unless you go to a private school, then their rules are different. But even then they shouldn't be allowed to. Once, the head of secondary at my school threatened to suspend me but then discovered she wasn't actually allowed to, and too many other people were opposing it.

In other words, no. No, no and no.

TDM

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2009
  10. collegedude250

collegedude250 Active Member

I'm so sorry you are in this situation, believe me, it gets better after high school ends.

11. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

My school is a private school, I think they allow self-harm though. Varies from country to country, I guess. I concur with people who says this is ridiculous, the school policy should aim to make it a safer and enjoyable place for everybody. They probably made this rule so there is less exposure of harm and it won't "offend" some people. The real offence here is that the school doesn't know how to help all its students, have you got a counsellor at your school? Seek his/her help, so they could understand your current predicament and then they should allow you to stay regardless of whether you s/h or not.

12. ih8orfans

ih8orfans Member

tbh, i think if someone is in a state where they consider/going through with cutting, then they may take out their depression/anger/anxiety etc. on someone else, we have seen too many cases of that in the U.S. in schools.

13. Tastelikeblood

Tastelikeblood Well-Known Member

I'm with everyone else on this, what you do out of school property is your business.

14. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be able to do that, or anything like. That would be like disciplining someone for biting their finger nails.

15. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

My girlfriend was suspended for 3 months from her old school (This was around 4 months before she went in to the ward) so yeh, then can do it.

I think it's because of legal reasons... they don't want to be able to be held responsible for failure to look after a pupil, so it's easier for them to suspend the student, thus covering themselves.

16. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

yes I agree! I don't see how they can do that... both morally and legally.

17. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

They have NO right at all to kick you out of school for SHing. SHing is normally a cry for help and she be understood as such. As long as you don't put others at risk (carrying knives round ect) then it isn't a problem. Kicking someone out of school will only make them worse. Instead help and counselling should be offered.

18. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

How would they find out unless the student is broadcasting it?? I guess with physical education lessons it can be difficult. As long as the student isn't harming in school.

19. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Depends what policies your school has in place I guess. I wouldn't think my school would give a shit. Maybe they'd try to help the mental state, I don't know. I'm in a public school and I wouldn't say we're top notch citizens :huh:.

But in that case, If someone would be supsended/exspelled from school for self harming I wouldn't be surprised if kids just did it to get out :dry:.

20. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

That's unbelievable. I can't believe they'd expel someone for being depressed. If you're cutting there are clearly underlying issues. They should help you, not kick you out. I'm sorry you're going through that because that's just ridiculous. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.