Could diet, and lack of sunshine be contributing to your mental illness?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Daphna, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I was inspired by another post to make this one.
    What is your diet? Do you get a sufficient amount of vitamin D?
    Is it possible that a poor diet and lack of sunshine is preventing you from feeling better mentally?

This post is just for fun. I am eager to read your replies.
  2. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

Yes, diet affect your mood. Healthy body = Healthy Mind, better mood. Diet also affect your chemicals in your body. I know because I tried it, I stayed at home for months doing nothing eating junk food, my mood was terrible, then I started to eat healthy and going out to get some sunshine :p it does help me feel a lot better. More energetic and better in everything.

But again, there are a lot of factors to contribute in your mental health, not only diet.
  3. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

My bad diet definitely affects my mood. Need to change this
  4. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe lack of sunshine affects me. I may also be malnourished because of it. I eat but without vitamin d I am not absorbing the proper vitamins. I am like the palest person most will ever meet.
  7. Farandaway674

Farandaway674 Member

I have been told by a psychiatrist I trusted that both play a role. Oddly enough the state's with the lowest suicide rates also have the most sunshine (Florida and California).
  8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

How interesting! Thanks for sharing Farandaway674.
  9. rigadoog

rigadoog Active Member

probably but ive hated life for as long as i can remember so its not going to make a significant difference
  10. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying Rigadoog. I used to hate life, and I used to feel as though I was powerless in my own life. This couldn't be further from the truth. We each have the power of choice. Our choices affect our lives. Get some fresh air, and some sunshine. Feel the difference for yourself. Experience the joy of change. Blessings...
  11. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I believe that the wrong diet will make mental illness worse. Especially food additives. My recommendation is to fix meals from scratch as much as possible and stay away from processed foods. Even bread has food additives that are harmful. The nutritional community is now advocating going gluten free because the wheat that is now grown has a gluten protein that the body sees as an enemy and causes auto-immune disease and mental health issues. It's worth reading up on, on the internet.
  12. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Yes Daphna I believe you are right - I eat unhealthily (I'm over 20 stone) & obviously must be deficient in Vitamin D & as I don't go out much (I spend far too much time online) so subsequently I am unwell mentally
  13. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying Chargette. I agree whole heartedly. I thank you for the info. I will have to look into it. I hope to grow my own food and raise it as well. Even those who live in the city can container garden, or square foot garden.

I was asked why food has so many harmful additives. My reply...GREED, and an attempt at population control. It's not the first time that it has happened in this world. Yahweh bless.
  14. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's the cause, but a big contributed to making it worse; Tocky. I thank you for replying. We can change our daily habits and feel the change for ourselves. Yahweh bless.
  15. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Since hubby and I have changed our diet - ( we've cut out bread, gluten and dairy apart from acidophilus yoghurt which is good for the gut), and have started treating our food like the Chinese do, as medicine - the times I cheat on this now are decreasing because it's worth the well-being to stay on it - and it isn't difficult once the advantages start kicking in. I've lost a stone in weight (6kg) which I thought I could never do. Am amazed at the results and totally recommend it.
  16. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I know what you mean by stone weight.
    I always fluff up in winter.
    What's your favorite dish and why?
  17. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

fav dish is rare roasted salmon fillet + salsa verda with kumera (sweet potato) & leek gratin (layered with seasoned olive oil & oatmilk & quinoa cereal broth); cannellini bean mash & stir-braised veggies. Why? cos salmon is full of Omega-3 & good stuff, and the rest just all tastes wonderful with it :)
  18. Wereghost

Wereghost Member

Yep. I am malnutrioned (don't think that's proper spelling).
  19. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Wereghost: I thank you for replying. Most people are malnourished. Our food is so processed, and our soil is over worked. The best way and cheapest way to eat organic is sprouting. Have you tried it? It's fun. The sprout people have a great selection. Growing your own food is agood idea too. Gardening is great therapy too. Give it a try. Blessings...
  20. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

no, diet n sunshine does not have any relation to my issues.

I'm simply fucked up in the head because I stopped giving a damn about anything in the world. I have no goals, no aspirations, no wants of anything. So what's next?

No more motivation to work. Obamacare is taking care of that. No motivation to try to find a job, oh because of OBAMACARE. No point into working my arse off and get taxes bled out of me and end up back on square 1 even if I was not working on SSDI. No pay off, no reward.

Screw America.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.