could this site have a negative effect on some?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by communism, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. communism

communism New Member

I haven't been on here in many many months, maybe years... and I swear horrible feelings are coming back to me, and that's just from glancing around it for a few minutes...

Things here are always sad, lets face it, i dunno how ud define the kind of atmosphere we have here, but could it play tricks with ur mind...

I can see how this site can be ''fun'' for some...since u can let it all out, and just talk about ur miseries, till u have nothing left to say, and then talk about how bored u r...

And that's exactly the kind of thing that could drive some crazy, seems so hopeless in here, not much uplifting things ever said...

Theres a high concentration of desperation on here, and is that good for everyone to be around?
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Most of the people here have what you just stated(desperation,hopelessness etc), in there head. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a 'support forum for people in crisis' without the desparate messages for help or advice. At times, this is the only place some of us can even voice such things without being completely ignored because of our emotional problems.

People here are doing there best to be uplifting. And for some it's even a last resort.

I think I took offense to what you're trying to say and I'm sure it wasn't intended. So I'm sorry if this seemed a bit grumpy! :tongue:
  3. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, communism and it's a good question, really.

I guess it can be really helpful as you can share your thoughts and feelings with people who are more likely to understand, but if you're someone who gets dragged down easily, it may not be too good a place to hang out for ya.

It's about finding a balance between letting your things out and helping others, but not let the general atmosphere drag you down too much.
    In my eyes, it's best not to get involved with people too much as you will end up caring very much about people who get really close and then if they're down that may drag you down which in turn may drag others down/get them worried, etc. Domino effect could take place then.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess everyone will have to find out for themselves what the most healthy way of using this site is for them.

PS- I'm kinda curious as to who you are, as you say you haven't been on here in so long.
  4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

seems so hopeless in here, not much uplifting things ever said...
    I wonder if you ever got to know anyone close enough here to see people are being helped and have gone on to improve and enjoy their lives?..It is happening...
    it also offers some people someone to talk to in the final lonely hours when they have decided to end their lives and they feel they have no-one..
    I wonder have you ever been in that situation yourself...
    what would you have us say to people about to kill themselves then??

Theres a high concentration of desperation on here, and is that good for everyone to be around?
    If anyone feels they don't like being around here and it's not helping them they are free to leave...

Welcome back by the way....
  5. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

For some people reading about suicide could be triggering. I have found though that this is the only site you can write about suicide without being kicked off. I have also been amazed at the help people can give and yet be in a suicidal crisis themselves. So if this site is used wisely, it has an overall positive effect not negative.
  6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

This site saved me...LITERALLY! However, there have been times when I have come here and been extremely saddened by what I've seen.

I've taken breaks of a couple of months and several breaks of a week or two, either on my own, or by asking to be put on leave. This seems to have helped moderate my moods which are affected by what one encounters on the site.

IMO, it is inherent in the nature of the site to be both helpful and occasionally overwhelming. One must moderate their use or adjust accordingly based on how we feel or how we process the information and scenarios which fill the forums.

I believe the site is set up so that one can use ONLY the forums which they feel they can handle. If you continually go into the "Crisis' and "Suicide" forums, one would have to be a potato not to be affected!

Also, I have met incredibly wonderful, giving people here, who have become friends, very good friends, with whom I could not do without.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
  7. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

I find this site to be a trigger for myself at times. When I feel that way I know enough to stay away. My goal? To obsorb info and learn from it.
    I've learned so much by being here. I take this info and relay it to my therapists.
    This is a great place to be!
  8. twc

twc Well-Known Member

I think the internet overall is not a good place for suicidal people. Too impersonal, aggressive, triggering. That being said, I think this site can be helpful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.