Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Izziebabystar, Sep 11, 2008.

  1. Izziebabystar

    Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

    i was just wondering
    i live in the uk as most of you know and im 17
    my mother belives im to young to suffer depression and to be stressed
    she belives my self harming is a way of attention seeking

    i went to my dr and he brushed me off saying i was a little stressed and id be just fine
    he hardly spoke to me

    is there any other way i can get help for free in the uk
    im finaly realising i cant do this on my own
  2. LenaLunacy

    LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

    Try connexions, there's usually one local to each town. Or a local self help group.
  3. Petal

    Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

    I think you should get a second opinion. See another doctor and see what he says, you deserve to get the help you need :arms:
  4. ........

    ........ Guest

    you could try connexions. you could try getting a second opinion and getting referred to MH services (you have to be insistent, try writing things down).

    you could try doing a search on "counselling centres" + your area in google.

    phone them up and ask them if they'd take an assessment. don't be put off if they are lets say 'drugs and alcohol' or domestic violence or women specialist places. just keep trying.

    you could also look up a youth counselling place. i know my area has one of these.

    your doctor and family sound completely useless. i#m so sorry to hear you're going through that and i'm glad to hear you still trying to get help.
  5. xXWhateverItTakesXx

    xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

    Yes! They are most friendly bunch of people I have met :)

    Are you in any education at all? If so talk to your tutor maybe?

  6. Izziebabystar

    Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

    ive just started duchy college
    but im afraid if i tell my tutor theyll kick me off the course or somthing
  7. LenaLunacy

    LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

    They won't kick you. They will, well, should, offer you help and support to get you back on track and help u in your school life.
  8. xXWhateverItTakesXx

    xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

    I have that exact same fear as well hun. Because the course I am doing is stuff to do with Public services :unsure:

    But, as a college, they should be able to support and help you. I know at my college they can get you a counsellor and outside help.

    But saying all that, you have just started and it's not an easy subject to bring up :hug: