Counselling for Eating Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by downunder, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Just wondering what sort of things a counsellor says to someone who has gone to see a counsellor for a eating disorder?

I see a shrink about grief issues, and she noticed my lack of weight, and just lectures me. She says "I am a doctor, blah blah blah blah", "Hello, can't you see what you are doing to your body blah blah blah", "I don't understand you", "Are you doing this to make me frustrated?", "I have real concerns about you".

Wasn't really helpful.

Once she asked me to get on the scales, I didn't want to, too embarassing so she got on, and I had to show her how to work the scales!!! She then weighed herself and compared it with my weight, and asked me if I thought she was overweight.

If counselling for an eating disorder is similar to this then I couldn't see it being very helpful at all. You might as well have your family lecture you.

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

She isn't trained to counsel someone with an eating disorder. She doesn't seem to understand them at all. If you go to someone who specializes in ED's, they'll be able to give you better advice that will help you. They'll understand that saying things like "Are you doing this to make me frustrated?" or "I don't understand you" would never work and will probably only serve to make the situation worse. Please seek out someone who specializes in or at least has a history treating eating disorder patients. :hug:

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

She sounds like a major idiot. Get a new counselor.

4. I've had 4 years of treatment from outpatient to inpatient and I can assure you I've never come across anything like that.

Are there any eating disorders organisations you could call to see if they can recommend someone?

5. dhaxelbarqs

dhaxelbarqs New Member

Thanks for sharing your ideas here...... this is very Useful!!!

<mod edit: *useless*: advertising>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.