Counselling - How Do You Know When Enough is Enough?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Jun 8, 2008.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Just wondering how do people know when to stop? I don't want to be come addicted or dependant on seeing someone for the rest of my life.

Have noticed that sometimes when I don't see her for a couple of weeks become really low, but then when a couple more weeks may go by and I seem to improve. Then I see the counsellor again, and it starts off again.

I feel better once I have seen her though and look forward to seeing her, she is a counsellor. She has never asked me do I need to see her again she keeps making the appointments. They are free as done through work.

I am seeing her due to grief issues (my daughter died) and suicidal thoughts.

2. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I stopped seeing my counselor after I had a life-altering experience that made me want to stand on my own two feet again, for better or for worse. Stick with counseling as long as you feel comfortable there, or as long as you think you need it. I knew when I needed to stop, and I think I've only improved since then. My condolences on your loss, and I pray your healing continues.

3. demonhunter999

demonhunter999 Well-Known Member

Ask your counsellor - mine says so long as I was communicative and sessions were of benefit

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

If you feel you have accomplished what you have set out for then try backing her off to once a month. My therapist told me she has a few ppl that are on a once month schedule. She says they come in for a visit to get a quick fix to what ever might happen to them. I see her twice a month.
    She is probably waiting for you to bring it up, as a sign that you are feeling better. Anyway just come out and ask her!!!:chopper:

5. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

My other benefit with the counselling is that it is done during work time, and I get to go home early. :)) A few weeks ago she actually started to space it out to fortnightly, but then things went a little pear shaped due to anniversary of my daughters death and some bullying at work.