Counselling in doctors' surgery

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Woodsmoke, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK and have signed up for counselling at my local doctor's surgery... I don't know if anyone has been to these people before- how qualified are they? I've never liked councelling I've had before- I feel I need more in-depth therapy, like a psychologist/psychiatrist because of my problems with paranoia and what I think is partial OCD.

I spend my time trapped in my head, if not in ordinary daydreams based LOOSELY on stories I am trying to write, its arguments that happen, memories that replay over and over again and I can't stop them. I shake and twitch to get out of them and I self-injure to get myself out of my head- the old 'physical pain is better than emotional.'

I have trouble talking and writing about emotional/personal subjects- the fact that I've been able to get this out is unbelievable.

I am going out of my head. Bad memories and imaginary conversations/arguments/shouting matches that I have to hurt myself to get away from. I am 24- this has been growing non stop since I was 14/15. Don't know what this is. Want to get away from everyone. Hate myself. Agony-aunt type counselling just wont help!
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Why not see what the person has to offer before making any conclusions? Maybe s/he will be helpful...and tell him/her what you want from the relationship and see if s/he can provide it...J
  3. loser

loser Well-Known Member

If the counselling is for a limited number of sessions I think it could leave you with more problems. You might check out what your local branch of Mind offers. Sometimes they have have self help groups where you might met with others who are trying to cope with with similar mental health problems.
  4. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Having taken this form of counselling as my first step to help, I can say that whilst it's not the greatest I've ever had it was very very helpful. It helped me to be able to start talking about what was going on and subsequently having got other help it stood me in good stead.

The counsellor I dealt with was actually very knowledgeable and seemed to be thinking of long-term solutions even though we had a limited number of sessions. I would certainly recommend it as a good starting point - heck you may get yourself sorted in those sessions - we don't know until we try, but certainly take the opportunity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.