Counting The Days... Helpful?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ~Nobody~, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, do you guys find counting the hours/days/weeks/whatever since your last incident of SI helpful or unhelpful?

From what I can see, lots of people do it (which would suggest some benefit?) but lots of people just end up getting really upset when they slip up once ("I ruined everything! I screwed up! I feel awful! that's one month and two weeks and four days down the drain...").

I know that I used to do it myself, but it just made me feel worse when I broke the chain of days I managed to go without.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  2. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

hmm i think theres advantages and disadvantages..its good to see how far youve come it can help to kind of motivate you..but on the other hand if you start obsessively counting the days it will be on your mind a whole lot more and that makes it harder..or you can end up getting a mental block about it like using a personal example i kept trying and then slipping up on exactly 12 wasnt that anything specific happened on the 12th day its just because it had happened before i guess subconciously i decided i couldnt cope past 12 days. Now i just make a note of the last date, because i wanted to personally and if i work it out im on about 3 weeks, but it doesnt bother me as much..As for the slip ups, its natural and likely that people will slip up. But thats just it..a slip up. I think you need to think its not however long "down the drain" but think wow, i used to SI every day/week/whatever but now ive only done it once in such and such days..then try and cut it down more. These are just my personal opinions/experiences..i dont know the answer cos i havent given up yet. And anyway, everyones different.
  3. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

there was a time in my life when i used to count the days had passed since the last si, but as bluberry87 said that was the onlything on my mind during those days, and when i sliped i did to myself what i didn´t do in those days, i think it was like a punishment, but i don´t know, i think is better try to do something else and fill yourday with activities that make you think in other things, besides you will be so tired at the end of the day that you won´t have energy to hurt yourself.
  4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I find it helpful to count the days, i'm currently on my fourth without burning, the longest i've gone without burning since starting. I think its good to have an aim, when i feel tempted i jus think about my days and how many i've done so far and that gets me thru.

But as you said when you slip up it can hit you twice as hard, its happened to me and i felt really bad giving it up and then i got into burning because of the guilt, so i think it depends personally but i find it helpful :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.