courage or cowardice?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by cole624, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole624

cole624 Member

didnt really know where to post this but i guess ill put it here.
    in highschool i read a book (forgot the title, which is rare) anyways, in the book there was some war going on, forget if it was civil, wwi or wwii, anyways thats not important. the main character didnt want to go to war, it was against all of his beliefs, he hated blood, and all that jazz. but only cowards ran away. at the end of the book he ended up going to war and not fleeing. in his words he said he was a coward for not sticking to his beliefs. now to the point. is it courageous to live a life you dont want to live? is it truly cowardly to take your own life? we can even take it further, i think we can all agree that suicide is to at least some degree selfish (which is why many of us hold back i think) but is it also selfish to expect someone to live a life they dont want to live? if i continue to live despite hating every second of it it might be selfless but also maybe a little cowardly. maybe there is a large amount of selfishness in bravery
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Sometimes it's takes courage to change the life to the life one desires.

Or courage is for the living.
  3. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

I hope you are safe at present, whatever might be going on.

Personally, I doubt that suicide has much to do with selfishness. Greed is easy to do. Killing yourself is difficult, probably at least as much as fighting in a war, or going to prison for conscience reasons. The only guarantee in life is that complications will enter it.

This section of the forum is for people actively contemplating suicide, so I assume you may be thinking about it. I won't tell you not to do it. All I could say is that it's eternal and irreversible. For this reason, I don't think it's usually wise. The choice about suicide can only be made by you.

At heart, I think suicide is a response to pain, and such pain trumps the philosophy or the selfishness/selflessness of it all. I do hope someone is nearby, who you can talk to.

Best wishes.

` :butterfly4:
  4. iwanttohelp

iwanttohelp Well-Known Member

I see your point. But more so I'm sorry you are suffering so much. I hope you find relief in some other way. Please keep seeking help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.