covered in scars

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by mad hatter, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad hatter

mad hatter Active Member

the only reason that i dont cut is because im fed up of all the scars on my body
    ive recently acquired a few heavy scars that are very visable unless i wear a long sleeve jumper
    its not so bad being winter but i dread when it comes to summer
    ive told a few friends and showed them the scars but more than anything it freaks them out....they dont know how to react
    i cant give them a reason as to why i do it...i honestly dont doesnt make me feel good i just get the urge
    i wish i could be happy
  2. Thelonlyone

Thelonlyone Member

When i started doing it, I started on my calfs, I would sit with my one leg over the other. 1 or 2 scratchs was all i needed. and i even could do those when my finger nails. But after so long I needed more, So i switched to a box cutted, and still on my calfs. Well i noticed they didnt heal like the scratchs. so imoved to my thighs. now they to are scared. pretty bad in someplaces. It embarassed me when I first met my last G/F and we became intamit. I did not want to remove my underwear.She did not freak out as bad as others has. her friend did it to. and she knew alittle about. but she assumed that i was doing it that same reason her friend did. So even if someone accepts what i do. they do it on there terms.I had to explain, I wasnt Beat,Touched,demeaned in any way growing up. it was just something i picked up somewhere thru life. and its a hard monkey to get off your back.

So you may Find someone who understands alittle. and sometimes that will do.I wish it was easier to talk to someone in R/L (Real life) like it is here. to hear the words of caring ppl that understand completly and just dont put you in the sicko catagory.But reading what is written here will do. You all are Great.

Mad Hatter if you ever feel the need to talk about anything. feel free to pm me.

Thank you
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Why do you guys keep on cutting yourselves? I'm sure that there are more productive things you could be doing with your time.
  4. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

Are you blind? Is this not a forum for self harm, depression, and suicide? People have problems which is why they come here. "Why do you guys keep cutting.." wtf? why are you here? Go pick up a book on cutting if you really want to learn about it.
  5. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I suggest you read this: click

If you still fail to understand and would like to know more than feel free to PM me and I'll try to help all I can, but please refrain from comments like the one you made - it doesn't help. If you really do not understand SH perhaps it's best you don't reply to support threads in this forum. Thanks.

mad hatter - I understand. Everytime I get an urge to self harm now I keep thinking of the scars, I don't want anymore of them. How old are these scars? Perhaps in time they will fade. You could use treatments such as Bio Oil, and there's a thread here which can help you too: click

6. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

i havr thought the same. my arms are ruined. i try and keep to other places now but its not the same. there seems no point to stop as everyone things i do anyway when they see my arms.
  7. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

Dave, i'm not sure you're suited to this forum, people are here because they have problems and want to talk to people who have the same problem. We don't need some one like you to come and belittle us...please refrain from posting hurtful things here, because its just not fair.. remember the quote "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all..."
  8. sui caedere

sui caedere Well-Known Member

This may sound odd but i love my scars.
    dont know why i enjoy looking and feelng them.
    at times just seeing them has stoped me from cutting a few times as i get what i need just by looking.

but at other times i want to add to them.:unsure:
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

You're probably right taranama. I'm not a self harmer nor am I suicidal. I just came here to try and help and to learn more about why people do these things. I don't agree with what you said about me belittling you guys. I think cutting is just like any other form of compulsive behaviour, like gambling, shopping or over-eating. It's up to you to be strong and overcome it.
  10. mad hatter

mad hatter Active Member

you are right it is similar and that is the reason we are all here, to gain strength and learn about our problems.
    your comment did seem a little patronising though.
  11. famous.last.words

I honestly feel that most of his posts in the area are patronising and show a distinct lack of tact and understanding.
  12. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with you.
  13. Love's Icy Death

Love's Icy Death Well-Known Member

Im exactly the same way, I cant belive how much cutting is on my mind, its all i think about:huh:
  14. austinhp78

austinhp78 Well-Known Member

i know what you mean about having scars that are very visible... recently, being fairly new to the whole cutting thing, i cut myself on my forearm in a way that when my arm is hanging down it is parrallel to the ground., i guess as a result of that the skin pulled on the cut, spreading it apart, hence making the scar very wide and dark. its very inconvenient seeing as that it is very visible and nothing i can think of is a viable excuse for it...:sad: well i learned to not do that again...
  15. famous.last.words

Im so glad you said that, i was worried it was me being sensitive or something. I just feel when people are opening up they could do without someone 'playing shrink', if you know what i mean
  16. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I agree. The best support available can be from survivors who have a deeper understanding / empathy.

Psychiatrists aren't always up for the job lol. :smile:

Experts by experience! :cool:
  17. Corieh Infected

Corieh Infected Well-Known Member

Yeah. If someone doesn't understand the problem, it's really hard to sympathize and talk with someone about the problem. I think people who have been through self harm and other stuff would make great psychiatrists, they're more understanding an open in my mind.
  18. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I went to an exibition 'mental health today' in London and they did taster training sessions so I joined in the SH one.

The psyc had a different approach, when people came to him and said they SH he replied, ''good for you''!! I'm pleased for you that you found a way of coping! The acceptance obviously surprises his clients. Then once the barriers were broken they could talk about tactics in which to maybe overcome the issues.

Amazing man was Stuart.

He really was advocating on behalf of SH's, telling people about the attention seeking bit was a myth etc and explaining why it was nonsense. He read out a lovely poem written by a SH.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.