Covering SH scars

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by NYJmpMaster, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I was undecided about share this then decided some people may find useful going into summer months. My 16 yo daughter SH's and has some pretty significant scars. We were trying to help her find ways to cover them so can wear skirt/ shorts/ or possibly a swim suit for typical summer stuff. A lot of products were available, we chose one and tried it for the first time. It was on the pricey side , so I thought I would post some pictures here so other members that may be thinking about these things can decide if the results are worth the money or the effort before spending themselves. The cream we purchased was one discussed here in this chat room a while ago - Dermablend Leg and Body Cover SPF 15 (100 ml /3.4 oz cost $28 at amazon). It comes in a lot of different colors and the color she selected from looking on line was actually a shade to dark still (she id very fair skinned which is one issue with her scars as they stay bright pink for a very very long time on her skin) and sealed with the Dermablend Setting Powder (28g -1 oz $24 from amazon)

In the pictures - nothing was ever touched on the right leg in any picture. She ended up applying with fingers as the sponge she was going to use had other make up in it already. It used very very small amount to cover - it will go a lot further than I had expected when we purchased. After she tries it out all day some time to see how long works in real life and particularly after tries swimming I will post how that worked - but this is 4 pictures - start - the just creme- then the powder - and last from about 6ft/ 2m away. I do not think anybody would notice at all just casual walking down the street. I am not recommending or endorsing this particular product at all - just sharing what results she had using this in case it may help somebody looking for ways to cover SH scars for summer or trying to decide if it is worth the rather high cost for the cream made for it. I know I was worried about spending $60 based on the pictures in advertisement - but these are totally untouched pictures from phone camera so give a good idea.

With the cream

With powder

End from 6 ft in normal light

Hope somebody may find this helpful - if anybody has any other ideas or tips feel free to add on to this thread as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

It does look effective Ben but a pity she cuts where the scars can be seen; better still if she did not cut but the cream really does help as can be seen on your pics

For me I cut my torso which can easilly be covered up but of course I don't go swimming in swimming trunks but your daughter as seen in those pics she could easily go swimming on the beach in a swimsuit and blend right in with everyone else as the scars are now barely noticeable
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Wow - tat's amazing stuff. I'm happy for your daughter that she found something that works so well! :) Thanks for sharing - it might work for the acne scars on my shoulders - finally, after no tank tops or spaghetti strap dresses for years! :)
  4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Awww Acy like freckles they are special as:

A woman with freckles is beautiful

A woman without freckles is like a night sky without stars
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Wow-huge difference...thanks for posting this Ben. I am sure she will feel much more confidence in herself now when wearing skirts etc. Luckily my cuts were not too deep and only have 1 that actually looks like it was self inflicted. I've heard great things about camouflage make-up covering them too.
  6. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this
  7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Just a follow up from earlier- 90 minutes in chlorine pool pretty much washed it all away.
  8. Jonsey

Jonsey Well-Known Member

They both look good. When she's not wearing the cream or powder, you may want to try vitamin e. Puncture the capsule and rub it on. Worked on my arms.
  9. mandy

mandy Well-Known Member

Rose Hip oil with Vitamin E in it helps in healing soooo much for me just FYI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.