Cow Abuse *Really triggering*

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mikeintx, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

2. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

unfortunately i could show you a dozen more places where this is happening each day. There is no point in trying to milk cows if they do
    not have an stress-free environment. It causes the cows to keep up the oxitocine hormone which again will result in not being able to milk the cow "empty",
    which again will result in more mastitus and therefor a shorter lifespan of the cattle. seing this video remembers me why i left the farming buisness, to many incompetent
    people. It makes me mad, in the end i was an ticking tomebomb who has seen to many unnessecary animal death due to people's failures. Aargh. why did i look :mad:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  3. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I could only watch 20 seconds of that. It's absolutely disgusting. :(
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

OMFG that is digusting how can people like that be allowed to work with animals? I am so mad right now, I hate cruelty to animals. OMG I COULD KILL THEM
  6. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

People like that often have immense psychological problems. That sort of sadism is far beyond the potential of a normal human being. One doesn't have to be a bleeding-heart animal rights activist to find this horrifying.
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

05/26/10 | AP

CLEVELAND — A dairy farm worker was charged Wednesday with 12 counts of cruelty to animals after a welfare group released a video it says shows him and others beating cows with crowbars and poking them with pitchforks.

The video was recorded in an undercover investigation at Conklin Dairy Farms Inc., said Mercy For Animals, a not-for-profit group that publicizes what it calls cruel practices in the dairy, meat and egg industries and promotes a vegan diet.

The video shows workers holding down newborn calves and stomping on their heads. It shows one worker wiring a cow's nose to a metal bar near the ground and repeatedly beating it with another bar while it bleeds.

The charged worker, Billy Joe Gregg Jr., 25, was jailed in Mechanicsburg and was to be arraigned Thursday, Marysville prosecutor Tim Aslaner said. The Delaware, Ohio, resident didn't have a lawyer, the Marysville Municipal Court said. A telephone number listed under his name was disconnected.

Each cruelty to animals count he faces has a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $750 fine.

Conklin Dairy Farms, a fourth-generation family operation based in Plain City, condemned the video footage and said Gregg was fired on Wednesday. It said it was cooperating with authorities.

"We will not condone animal abuse on our farm," the dairy said in a statement released Wednesday. "We have launched our own internal investigation into this matter and will be conducting interviews with everyone on our farm who works with our animals."

The sheriff's office said the investigation was ongoing and may result in further charges.

Investigators are reviewing about 20 hours of raw video footage the animal welfare group says it secretly recorded at the farm between April 28 and Sunday.

Sheriff's deputies were called to the dairy to provide security while Gregg was fired. When deputies asked why Gregg was being fired, they learned about the video, which had been presented to the Marysville prosecutor's office on Monday.

"We hadn't even seen the YouTube video," Chief Deputy Tom Morgan said.

Morgan said there are three to four people featured in the video. He said the footage shows Gregg punching and striking cattle in the face and various parts of their bodies with metal pipes and pitchforks.

"We've got a lot of video that has to be reviewed," he said. "And we have to identify who all is involved."

Last year, Mercy For Animals, which is based in Chicago, released a video showing workers at an Iowa egg hatchery tossing male chicks into a grinder. Industry groups said such instantaneous euthanasia was a common practice because male chicks can't lay eggs or be raised quickly enough to be sold for meat.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Cruel, illegal, and bad for business... And this guy was paid to work there?!
  9. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

although i dont think they'll get a fraction of what they deserve, im glad this came to light and people involved are being dealt with.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.