Cpn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all..

Hoping for a bit of advice really. I've been within the mental health service for over a decade, but as I am only 22, most of that time I was in the Children's Mental Health Team. I've been in and out of psychiatric hospitals, and am currently receiving 'support' from some mental health workers, who aren't from the Adult Mental Health Team.. they have their own team, and are not psychiatrists, or psychologists. The reason I was placed with them was because when I first was thought to 'need' support, they thought a short-medium term plan would suffice, whereas the adult team usually work long term. They have a 2 year time limit in working with 'clients', and resist referring us to other services at the end of those 2 years due to them wanting to avoid clients having to have long term treatment. However, my two years is coming to an end, and I've got worse. Although I refused to be referred, I'm pretty much being forced to, and I have got a letter through saying that I have an appointment with two CPN's in a couple of weeks. Due to my anxiety and agoraphobic tendencies, they are coming to my home, but I'm shit scared about it. I've worked with therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, consultants, but I don't know what CPN's do. I'm also filled with resentment because I didn't want to be referred there in the first place, I wanted to just be discharged in September.

Anyway.. my questions are.. what do CPN's do? What do they ask? What is the first visit like? What are subsequent visits like? My mind is working overtime thinking of them shouting at me, or judging me, or being horrible, and it's making my anxiety worse. Although they are supposed to be there to help me, and therefore everyone views this meeting as a good one to take place, it's making me feel suicidal just worrying about it. I don't trust people, and am scared of people, and of changes, etc, so it's really freaking me out. I'm sorry for moaning, but ANY advice would be welcome.

EDIT: Oh, in my haste I forgot to ask.. do they have the power to section/admit me to hospital? What kind of power do they have over me, and decisions about me?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Hun they are people who will care for you and help you deal with your mental illness okay I find them to be very kind and understanding The will be another support system for you to reach out to when you are not well. Please do not be afraid okay they are there to help you. If you become ill the will discuss this with your doctor and make sure everything is done to keep you safe

Let us know how it goes okay i think you will be less anxious once you get to know them hugs.

Dont think they can section you hun - i've had CPN's with the outreach team and when it comes round to wanting to section me they have to go through psychiatrist and get an assessment with approved mental health workers ect :hug:

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hope it went ok. I didnt see this until now. I am currently seeing a cpn. They do not have the power to section you. Their job role is to give you that extra support in the community. With mine we will talk about how things are going really. If anxiety has been a problem, we will go through the causes and how I can work with techniques to help reduce the anxiety. If its been SH we go through the causes and replacement techniques. The care they give is quite individualised and try to work what is best for you. They can also refer you on to further services should they see you need it.

UsedToBe

CPN's cannot section you as they have no powers to do that, but if they act as your care co-ordinator, they can recommend hospital admission or may ask for a MHA assessment.
Hope you are ok. If they take you on their case load they will agree a care plan with you and will revise it regularly (at least that's what they're supposed to do). You should be given a care co-ordinator who will see you regularly and sort out all medical appointments for you and (should you wish so) other support, e.g. from support workers, or non-statutory agencies. This is all from my experience of working in a CMHT. If you have any questions or worries, pm me :)

lostbutnotfound

Thank you for your replies.. I'm glad they don't have the power to section me, they seem to have the same procedures as my 'old' team then. Apparently I have to see a psychiatrist regularly alongside my CPNs.. that doesn't sound fun.

Meeting was okay btw, short and sweet, though I made a complete tit out of myself by having a panic attack throughout. I'm a knob.

Thanks again

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Glad it went ok. I am also waiting for psych along side my CPN. Anxiety is normal during these app, especially if anxiety is a problem anyway!

Thank you tc :hug: just embarrassing to freak out like that i guess

Lexi.. I'm confused as to why I'll have to see a psychiatrist on a REGULAR basis.. the team I'm with at the moment doesn't have this, so it's yet another thing to get used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00